Off hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat.sam

Reaction score
I am brewing this batch as I type:

1 lb American Crystal 80L
½ lb Dextrin

3 lb Amber DME
4 lb Extra Light DME

1 oz Magnum @ 60’
.5 oz Hallertau @ 45’
.25 oz Cascade @ 15’
.5 oz cascade @ 5’

Do the hops look off to anyone? It is too late to do anything about it, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks

Looks good for a hoppy amber ale. Hop profiles are something I'm not really good at, but just on paper I'd say the Hallertauer at 45m will probably get pretty well stomped by the Magnum at 60m, but it may not be the case and really isn't an issue anyways. I might consider moving the 5m addition to 0m, but that's pretty much academic, as ewll.

Looks like it should end up fine to me. Magnum are good, high-alpha bittering hops, cascade is good for flavor and aroma and where you used the hallarteu should be fine... probably overpowered by Magnum, but some of the hallarteau properties may come through?

Here is the beersmith I put together for it based on a full boil:

fat.sam recipe
Type: Extract
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 50.0 %
3.00 lb Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 37.5 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 12.5 %
1.00 oz Magnum [14.00%] (60 min) Hops 46.3 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80%] (45 min) Hops 7.3 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50%] (15 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (5 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.80 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 min) Misc

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.062 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.0 %
Bitterness: 57.7 IBU
Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 13.9 SRM

If you did a partial boil of 2.5 gallons you would only be at about 31 IBU due to hop utilization deterioration. I'm sure you can figure out anything you need to from there...

Thanks for the response guys. I used the hallertauer just to finish off the last bit I had in the freezer and I'm not expecting much from it.

I did a 4.5 gallon boil (turkey fryer) and my OG was pretty close to 1.065. I am a bit worried about the amount of times I stuck my hands into the wort while chilling, but I usually worry until I see the final product.

I probably would have swapped the hallertauer with the first cascades add, done it at 20 minutes or dry hopped. Overall, it's fine for the gravity.

Here's a little surprise:

CULTIVAR: Hallertauer Magnum, also called Magnum
PEDIGREE: Galena (USDA 21182) x German male hop Nr. 75/5/3

What I used was a Hersbrucker, Hallertau German (pellet).

Cultivar: Hersbrucker 8
Accession: USDA 21515

I assume it was the 8, it seems to have the closest alpha percentage. However the latest bale review was in 98.

Thanks.

Back