Oetiker (ear) clamp size for 1/2" ID - 3/4" OD silicone hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gifty74

Reaction score
Upgrading the brewery a bit and buying some SS quick disconnects, and some new silicone hose. The hose is 3/4" OD. Just wondering what size ear / Oetiker clamp would be the one for this size hose? It seems like 19.8mm open, 16.6mm closed would do it, but wasn't sure if anyone had some real world experience with these. Thanks!

The ones the big box stores sell for 3/4" PEX have worked great for me. They can be a little work to get over the oversize fittings but what I do is put the clamp where I want it on the hose, spray a little StarSan inside and slip that onto the fitting. Then it just needs a light crimp. Amazon has them too, and they are in a category that still ships reasonably fast.

Last edited:
The ones the big box stores sell for 1/2" PEX have worked great for me. They can be a little work to get over the oversize fittings but what I do is put the clamp where I want it on the hose, spray a little StarSan inside and slip that onto the fitting. Then it just needs a light crimp. Amazon has them too, and they are in a category that still ships reasonably fast.
Are the pex cinch clamps the same thing as the Oetiker style clamps or different?

I believe Oetiker makes a bunch, maybe all, of them. Not sure if they are still under patent protection. At lunch time I'll wander downstairs and snap a picture of a few of mine.

Cool. Yeah, Oetiker-style (pic) have a little ear that sticks up that gets crimped/pinched. The pex ring clamps are a smooth copper ring that gets compressed around a diameter. Much smoother, but don't think SS is compressible enough for them to be used without an ear (ie. no smooth SS ring clamps for tubing / pex)

OETIKERSS-2T.jpg

Yep, that's the style. They call those cinch clamps the rings they call crimp. I mixed up my wording above and confused the issue.

I made a mistake above and said 1/2" but it should have said 3/4". I fixed it above but wanted to point that out.

As you can see you don't have to cinch them much which is nice because there isn't a big piece to snag stuff. For non-oversize fittings there's still good range. I've eliminated all of those however.

20200401_163116086_iOS.jpg

Cool. Yeah, mine will all be on 'standard' 1/2" barbs, using 1/2" ID hose, 3/4" OD. I ordered 17.8-21mm size (smallest to largest). Hoping that's the ID of the clamp, not the OD. Don't know why they'd be spec'd with OD, but never know on amazon.

Back