Odell Brewing tour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly2378

Reaction score
Went on a tour of Odell Brewing in Ft Collins yesterday for my birthday. My first time seeing behind the scenes of a commercial brewery, so it was pretty cool. A few observations/things learned:

--Odell recently expanded from a 50 bbl to 135 bbl system. They also recently added Texas to their distribution, essentially doubling the population that they distribute to.

--They also expanded their taproom recently and it's a beautiful facility.

--They have four house strains of yeast that they use.

--Grain to glass is 2-3 weeks for most beers.

--3000 lbs of hops go into a batch of St Lupulin, their summer seasonal.

--They do not filter any of their brews. They are all whirlpooled to drop the sediment out.

--All of their spent grains are given to a local dairy farmer to feed his cows.

--Their brew system is designed to capture steam, cool it and re-collect the water to re-use.

--While we were in there, they hopped a batch of Easy Street Wheat. It smelled awesome. And no boil overs :).

--I had a flight of six of their brews before the tour. One was called Super Union Chief Pale Ale, which is hopped with an experimental variety called Yakima Chief. The tasting notes said it had hints of piña colada. I was skeptical at first but sure enough, there were very distinct piña colada flavors. It was really, really good.

I also visited New Belgium and Left Hand but missed out on their tours. Nothing too exciting about New Belgium, but Left Hand has some really good stuff. Milk Stout Nitro and Smokejumper Imperial Smoked Porter stood out.

All in all, a great birthday!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Pineapple Express. I'd just eaten lunch at Old Chicago, so didn't hit it up.

I think O'Dell is one of the most underrated breweries, great beers.

That's for sure. I went there back in 2005, beautiful place. Haven't seen the new facility. Plan to again someday though. Cutthroat Porter is probably my favorite porter after Fuller's London Porter. And Odell IPA is one of my favorites in the IPA category.
Sounds like you had a good birthday!

Hahah I just did your exact beer trip about 2 months ago. Took the tour at Odell's and then went in to new Belgium and left hand just for some pints (I also went to Fort Collins) it was an awesome day. Made me fall in love with Odell's. When I was there they had a red IPA that blew me away

Sent from my iPhone

Here's a couple of Odell pics that I took last January.

o.jpg

rb.jpg

Hahah I just did your exact beer trip about 2 months ago. Took the tour at Odell's and then went in to new Belgium and left hand just for some pints (I also went to Fort Collins) it was an awesome day. Made me fall in love with Odell's. When I was there they had a red IPA that blew me away

I have the pleasure of constantly debating which IPA is America's best- O'Dells or Ska. Both awesome. :tank:

Odell's is one of my favorite breweries. I did their tour about 6 months ago and it was great. I loved their taproom. If you get a chance I would definitely go on the New Belgium tour, the New Belgium tour was better but Odell beer is better. Great trip!

Sent from my iPhone

Runoff Red. It was tapped out at the brewery but I had a bottle of it a couple months ago. Good stuff. Really, I haven't had an Odell beer that wasn't good.

That's for sure. I went there back in 2005, beautiful place. Haven't seen the new facility. Plan to again someday though. Cutthroat Porter is probably my favorite porter after Fuller's London Porter. And Odell IPA is one of my favorites in the IPA category.
Sounds like you had a good birthday!

The flight I had included Nitro Cutthroat. It was awesome.

On another note, while I was in CO, I picked up a 4 pack of Oskar Blues Old Chub Nitro and it is awesome. Got some Milk Stout Nitro at Left Hand too. I was on a bit of a Nitro kick.

Back