Ode to the cascade hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhaha_rva

Reaction score
You know, it's not super sexy like mosaic, amarillo or citra. It doesn't pack a huge alpha punch like simcoe. But you know what? It's the greatest American hop in my mind. All these new hops come and go, they are up and they are down, but the cascade remains. It's great, versatile hop and if I were stuck on a desert island and could only brew with one hop for the rest of my life, undoubtedly it would be cascade. (Note to self: post forum on desert island hop question.)

I'm actually just kind of tired of citra in all these new IPAs. Amarillo is a good hop, I really enjoy Dogfish Head's Aprihop and other amarillo-forward brews. But damnit if I wouldn't take good-old Sierra Nevada Pale Ale over any of them if I'm back on that fabled desert island.

That is really all. It's just a fantastic all-around hop. It tastes and smells amazing and I've just never found a hop I like better. And you know what? It's freaking American, like Ford trucks, Disney World or Texas. So go out to your LHBS, grab 4 oz and make a good-old pale ale and enjoy the taste of freedom. Thank you, cascade. You've improved my life immeasurably.

Cascade was the very first hop I used in a recipe and also the first hop plant I tried in the garden. If I could only choose one hop to ever use again, it'd be Cascade due to its versatility (aroma and bittering), balanced flavor and grow-about-anywhere ability.

Mosaic is my favorite current hop to use right now. But dammit, if cascade and nugget just aren't the two that are in my favorite commercial beers, that i can drink over and over again and never get tired of it.

Ive been brewing ~4 years and have never used it! WTF is wrong with me?? Anyway, I have a pound of em in the freezer. Its on like donkey kong....

Cascade was the very first hop I used in a recipe and also the first hop plant I tried in the garden. If I could only choose one hop to ever use again, it'd be Cascade due to its versatility (aroma and bittering), balanced flavor and grow-about-anywhere ability.
Was my first hop as well, in a somewhat misguided Brewers Best Scottish 60/- but I still really enjoyed it. It led to another Scottish strong ale that was aggressively hopped with cascade and it was pretty darned tasty. Really fun beer, I should do that one again :)

My first ever brew was a standard APA with Cascade. I wanted Amarillo but was too hard to get. Your ode to Cascade has reminded me I need to do an Epic Pale Ale clone....

My first ever brew was a standard APA with Cascade. I wanted Amarillo but was too hard to get. Your ode to Cascade has reminded me I need to do an Epic Pale Ale clone....

You know, I've never had the pleasure of trying Epic's pale ale, so I looked it up after you posted this. I must say, that is a ton of cascadey deliciousness in a pale ale -- that's hopped like a California IPA. Like whoa. I'd bet its amazing.

You know, I've never had the pleasure of trying Epic's pale ale, so I looked it up after you posted this. I must say, that is a ton of cascadey deliciousness in a pale ale -- that's hopped like a California IPA. Like whoa. I'd bet its amazing.

I've had a few four packs. Recipe has crap load of hops but definitely does not taste like an IPA.

Back