Odd...Fermentation Stopped When Moved To Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukebuz

Reaction score
Have 2 gallons of Cranberry Juice wine with Red Star Champagne yeast in a bucket. Started fermenting fine in bucket, moderate foam, SG dropped from 1.110 to 1.100. Stirred well, and poured bucket via funnel into 1 gallon glass carboys. (everything clean and sanitized, of course)
Now, the next day, I have no activity at all in either carboy. What happened?? I added nothing...changed only the containers, and put them under airlock.

Could it be too cold? A plastic bucket insulates better than glass? It's about 65* in the holding area. Fairly stable at that temp...
:confused:

Have 2 gallons of Cranberry Juice wine with Red Star Champagne yeast in a bucket. Started fermenting fine in bucket, moderate foam, SG dropped from 1.110 to 1.100. Stirred well, and poured bucket via funnel into 1 gallon glass carboys. (everything clean and sanitized, of course)
Now, the next day, I have no activity at all in either carboy. What happened?? I added nothing...changed only the containers, and put them under airlock.

Could it be too cold? A plastic bucket insulates better than glass? It's about 65* in the holding area. Fairly stable at that temp...
:confused:

You didn't go to secondary at 1.100, unless you moved it as soon as it started fermenting. Maybe you mean 1.010? Or 1.000? or even 1.001?

Once it gets to 1.020 or so, fermentation is finishing up and slowing down. Take another reading in a few days if you're worried about it.

Nope. I went to secondary at 1.100 - just a 10 point drop. That's all it went in 3 days! It was super slow...and then stopped when moving it.
Could this be it...?
This is my 2nd batch of Cranberry, and I wanted more tart flavor - so I brought acid levels up from .70 (just juice) to .95.
Too acidic?

lukebuz said:
Nope. I went to secondary at 1.100 - just a 10 point drop. That's all it went in 3 days! It was super slow...and then stopped when moving it. Could this be it...? This is my 2nd batch of Cranberry, and I wanted more tart flavor - so I brought acid levels up from .70 (just juice) to .95. Too acidic?

Why'd ya move it so quick? I would've tried a little yeast nutrient or energizer to get the fermentation moving along. What are your readings at now? If they aren't going down at all I'd personally consider putting them back in the primary, repitching, and waiting until it was at 1.02 to move it into my secondary. Maybe you could just repitch directly into the secondary. Is there anybody else out there ?

Why'd ya move it so quick? I would've tried a little yeast nutrient or energizer to get the fermentation moving along. What are your readings at now? If they aren't going down at all I'd personally consider putting them back in the primary, repitching, and waiting until it was at 1.02 to move it into my secondary. Maybe you could just repitch directly into the secondary. Is there anybody else out there ?

The reason I moved so early was due to leaving for thanksgiving for 4 days. Didn't want to leave it "open" for so long.
I've started over, with 1 campden/gallon, let sit, and repitched a premier cuvee frothy starter. We will see what happens.
Yes, I'll leave it in the primary longer this time.
I always learn the hard way...

What kind of cranberry juice? Are there any preservatives? If so, they can kill the yeast.

I had a similar problem, and realized my yeast optimal temp is 100°. Mine has been going crazy since I fixed the temperature.

Wow! Your first post. Thanks!
How did you get your temp up that high? Any problems with bad flavors?
I've put a heating pad underneath my buckets, and that seems to spark some activity...

Wow! Your first post. Thanks!
How did you get your temp up that high? Any problems with bad flavors?
I've put a heating pad underneath my buckets, and that seems to spark some activity...

There are NO wine yeast strains that want to be 100 degrees! Don't do that.

Try to keep it in the 70s at the absolute highest.

If the wine is in carboys, open them up and see if you can stir it with a long handled spoon or something to get some oxygen in there. Buckets are great for primary because you can stir them often and just cover with a towel so oxygen can get in and c02 can escape.

Yeah, I'm back in the buckets, covered with a thin towel for air exchange. Stirred 1x daily.
How long can you leave a SLOWLY fermenting batch in a bucket? I'm talking 2 points of SG reduction a day. 1.058 - 1.056 in 24 hours...

Yeah, I'm back in the buckets, covered with a thin towel for air exchange. Stirred 1x daily.
How long can you leave a SLOWLY fermenting batch in a bucket? I'm talking 2 points of SG reduction a day. 1.058 - 1.056 in 24 hours...

Did you add nutrient? You really want it to do better than that.

Yup, that and energizer. I did when I first started it, and then again yesterday.

Yooper - how long can you leave juice in the primary before you risk spoilage or oxidation?

Back