octoberfest partial mash question..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comj49

Reaction score
i would love to do ed's octoberfest ale recipe, but it looks like the vienna and munich need to be mashed. The recipe calls for 5.5lbs of vienna and 2# of munich as well as 1# of other grains. I have the option to partial mash close to 4.5# of grain either in a small cooler or in the oven. My question is could i mash as much as possible, maybe 2.5# vienna, 2# munich, add that to roughly 1 gallon of water that i steeped the other grains in, boil that portion with the hop and extract additions, then mash the remaining 3# of vienna and add directly to the carboy as top off?

My goal is to get as much of the malt flavor as possible and it seems i need to mash as much vienna as possible to achieve that, or would it be possible to just reduce the vienna and add more light extract? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There is a partial mash/steep recipe in the original thread that I have modified to use with my 4 lb PM system. This is the recipe I am using. Anyone please feel free to critique this as I have not yet made it.

(steep)
1lb crystal 20
.5 lb crystal 40
.5 lb carapils dextrin

(mash)
1 lb Munich malt
2 lbs Vienna Malt
1 lb aromatic malt

(extract)
4.5 lbs Munich LME (20% munich, 80% 2row)

1 oz willamette (60min)
.5 oz tettnang (30 min)
.5 oz tettnang (15min.)

I chose the Munich LME so I could reduce the munich malt from 2 lbs to 1 to fit my PM system.

You cannot just mash grain and then put it in the fermenter, for two EXTREMELY important reasons:

1. IT HASN'T BEEN BOILED...its unsanitary and could easily lead you to a sour beer

2. wort is full of DMS, which you have to boil off, or you get cooked cabbage/vegetable flavors in the finished beer.

You'll need to scale back the grain if you can't boil the total mash, and use DME instead.

Back