october fest help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmanshane

Reaction score
ok I know its getting late in the year to get an October fest going but I have been craving one. I am looking for a recipe that is not a lager and has a short till ready time, I know I am asking a lot but does anyone have a 5 gallon all grain recipe that can suite my needs?

1.060, 25-30 ibu clean bittering, 50% Munich I, 45% Vienna, 5% CaraMunich. Adjust to taste. If you want it mellower, use pils instead of vienna. Mash @150. Toss an ounce of noble-ish hops like hallertau mittlefrau, in the last 15 minutes. Ferment with a clean yeast, cal ale (wlp001, 1056, s-05)(cal ale can over attenuate so you may want to mash higher) or 1335 on the cool side, or a kolsch yeast. Cold condition for a month or more near freezing after fermentation is complete.

Hi,

here is the link to another discussion where I posted my recepie (Post #46):
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/oktoberfest-recipe-critique-requested-422126/index5.html

It is an easy recepie but I used lager yeast for it, since a Festbier is traditionally a lager.

Although I brewed a Festbier a couple of month ago and split the batch using the lager yeast strain for one batch and an ale yeast strain for the second half.
Both are nice beers but also both are totally different in taste.

Cheers

Use the lager yeast, it's not too late. As long as you can ferment in the high 60s you'll be way closer than if you used an ale. Then lager the beer for as long as you can, be that 1 week, 3 weeks or whatever.

Back