Oceania IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparksanthony

Reaction score
Hey folks, just went by my LHBS and they had quite the selection of Aussie/NZ hops, I have never tried any hops from that part of the world. They were fairly low (in quantity) on all varieties, so in a panic, I grabbed 8 oz. of several different varieties. I think my next batch may be a IIPA or may a Black IPA and I wanted to use these hops.

I picked up 2 oz. each of Topaz (16.5%), Galaxy (15.0%), Pacifica (4.5%), and 1oz. each of Green Bullet (12.5%) and Stella (15.0%). After doing some research (after the fact), I was thinking about bittering with the Bullet, and flavoring/aroma with the Topaz, Galaxy, and Pacifica. For some reason, after reading the profile, I am going to back off the Stella and not use it I think (possible black licorice flavor?). I also have an ounce each of Warrior, Simcoe, and Columbus on hand.

If any of you could give me more information or ideas on an IPA recipe with these hops it would great!

I love galaxy!,,,,and green bullet. I have not used the others. I have noticed a minty flavor and aroma in the beers made with nz hops when the beers were young.....the flavor faded nicely to leave the fruitiness behind.

I would guess this is the black licorice smell etc mentioned.

As far as aroma and flavor use galaxy and Stella.....I have read they are similar. If not, just use galaxy. It's different but good.

I also like anything with simcoe , galaxy/simcoe combo.....I'm ready to drink this.

I think I have read that Galaxy/Simcoe is a good combo

I think I am looking for a fruity bomb on the nose with this one...not sure what hops to use where and what hop to bitter with. After more research GB or Topaz could be used for bittering. My LHBS also has Super-Pride which I didn't pick up, but I think may be the best option for bittering an IPA like this, I could still go back and get a couple ounces I bet...

from Hopunion

Super Pride (bittering): "Mild and pleasant, subtle resin and fruit tones"
Topaz (bittering): "Resinous grassy tones with light tropical flavors" "Lychee fruit"
Green Bullet (bittering): "Subtle spiciness"
Galaxy (aroma) :distinct citrus, peach, and passionfruit flavors"
Pacifica (aroma):"classic Hallertau character w/floral and citrus characteristics" "late additions bring charactersitics of orange marmalade"
Stella/Ella(aroma):"spicy hoppy and floral with hints of anise""half sister to Galaxy"

I am also interested in Nelson and Motueka. Hope I run into some of those down the road.

I think I have a base recipe. Holidays are coming up so malt profile is very similar to SN Celebration. Never brewed a Black IPA so added a little bit of Carafa....going for a good holiday IPA with some alcohol, maltiness, and good hops. I am a little bit torn on the yeast. I like the last IPA I made with WLP002 so may go with that.

5.5 gallons -- 70% eff. -- ABV 8.2% -- 27SRM -- 91IBU -- 1.00 IBU/GU

2-Row Brewers Malt 17.0 lb 88 % Mash 37
Caramel Malt 120L 10.0 oz 2 % Mash 32
2-Row Carapils® Malt 8.0 oz 2 % Mash 34
CARAFA® SPECIAL I 7.0 oz 2 % Mash 32
Pale Chocolate Malt 8.0 oz 2 % Mash 32
Caramel Malt 60L 8.0 oz 2 % Mash 34

Hops

NAME AMOUNT TIME USE FORM AA

Southern Cross 0.5 oz 90 min First Wort Pellet 12.5%
Green Bullet 1.0 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 12.5%
Topaz 0.5 oz 20 min Boil Pellet 16.5%
Pacifica 0.5 oz 20 min Boil Pellet 4.5%
Galaxy 0.5 oz 20 min Boil Pellet 15.0%
Galaxy 0.5 oz 15 min Boil Pellet 15.0%
Pacifica 0.5 oz 15 min Boil Pellet 4.5%
Topaz 0.5 oz 15 min Boil Pellet 16.5%
Pacifica 1.0 oz 1 min Boil Pellet 4.5%
Stella/Ella 1.0 oz 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 15.0%
Galaxy 1.0 oz 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 15.0%
Topaz 1.0 oz 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 16.5%
Yeasts

NAME LAB ATTENUATION TEMP
English Ale Yeast WLP002 White Labs 70.0% 65°F – 68°F
Mash steps

STEP HEAT SOURCE TARGET TEMP TIME
Saccharification Rest Infusion 152.0 °F 120 min

Thoughts? Suggestions??

Looks pretty good to me. I shy away from wl002, attenuation is low. It doesn't look like you have a ton of crystal that would create a cloyingly set beer but I would look at the Firestone Union Jack clone as a basis for a mash schedule with that yeast. I know your grain bill is different but it's worth a gander. I would drop the mash temp a few degrees regardless. That's just me.

Thanks for the tip on the UnionJack Clone Stone. Looked it up and the 145F to 155F mash step is an interesting technique. I would like to try that sometime. Unfortunately right now I use a converted cooler/manifold rig (only a year in on AG) so that may not be easy, even though it would be possible with a thick mash and an add in later in the mash I would think. I will have to think on that (do a little more research) and see if I want to attempt that with my rig.

For simplicity, I may drop the mash down to 148F-150F and go with WLP001 with a big starter. I think that would give me pretty good attenuation for this beer. That is another strain I like alot for IPAs. Plus, with the Crystal and chocolate malts, they may not need too much help from a strain geared more toward malt profile rather than hops (seems like 002 is).

Latest posts

Back