Obscure tool for perfecting BIAB mash temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unibrow

Reaction score
I think I've finally stumbled upon an ideal instrument to control mash temps during BIAB with partial mash OR all grain recipes: The Bamboo Steamer

By placing the cleaned steamer into the bottom of my 20 gallon pot, I created an excellent false bottom that keeps the grain bag off the bottom of the pot...allowing me to keep the flame on my gas oven running, and the temperature stable.

Also, I can continuously stir the mash and circulate the grains around the water without losing heat. I can fit up to 11 LBs of grains and 3.25 gallons of mash water in my 20G pot - then another 3 gallons of water at 170 to sparge in my bottling bucket. I have to split the boil up into 2 different pots, but it's a reliable and elegant way to control mash temps with BIAB.

P1030758.jpg

P1030757.jpg

Good idea, but if folks are concerned about cleaning the bamaboo, a metal folding steamer will work as well. Just break off or unscrew the metal post at the center.

6096steamers.jpg

stompbox said:
Wouldn't steaping wood flavor the wort?

I believe bamboo is relatively flavorless. So no worries there. I would like to point out though, if your pot fits in the oven that makes a great way to control temps as well. Set it at 175 or 160 and you won't see the temp drop at all. If your pot doesn't fit this is an excellent solution to keeping the bag off the bottom. I may steal it for use when I raise the temp to strike out.

Do you have a 20 gallon pot or a 20 quart pot?

Also, how do you clean/sanitize bamboo?

Ha! That should be 20 quart, correct. I shoulda double checked after all those home brews last night + the bamboo epiphany.

Also...to clean it, I just boil it in my pot for about 20 minutes. It doesnt need to be sanitized, as the bamboo is used exclusively before the boiling.

Back