Oblacinska Cherry Riesling Pyment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ace_Club

Reaction score
Anybody ever make this recipe from the Schramm book? Any suggestions?

For 5 gallons:

3 46 fl. oz. cans of Riesling concentrate
6# honey
Water to 4 gallons
D-47
5# oblacinska cherries (added to secondary)

I can't find oblacinska cherries, so I'll be using frozen tart cherries from a local source.

Just an update, this was made on Monday and is now happily bubbling away in my fermentation chamber.

I did ask Schramm if using sour Michigan cherries was an okay substitute and he replied that they were. He did say that I should increase the cherry addition by 10-20% if not using a morello type cherry. He also indicated that the water addition to 4 gallons (instead of 5) was to leave room for the cherry addition in the secondary.

I have yet to pick up/order the sour cherries, but since they are not needed until it gets racked to the secondary, I'm not terribly worried.

This was racked onto the sour cherries on 11/20/11. The hydro sample I took still tasted pretty sweet. The D-47 is sure taking it's time with this one. Ah well, it's bubbling (slowly) away down in my ferm chamber at 18.2C. I plan to pick up a reptile cable tonight so that I can get the fermentation temp up to ~20C (which I've read is optimal for D47).

Hopefully I can be bottling this in a couple of months.

Oh, and while I didn't take any gravity measurements, I did run some rough numbers and came up with an OG of ~1.126 for this mead. With the D47 petering out at around 14%, that should take it down to ~1.020 for an FG.

Any updates on how this one is coming along? BTW I just had D47 take a 1.126 Fall's Bounty Cyser (Schramm's Recipe from the book) down to 1.004 in 10 days. This is 16%+ without the contribution from the dried fruit in the recipe. I guess the yeasties were pretty happy. How did your pyment finish up?

It's still sitting in the secondary. I've been way too lazy lately to get around to sampling/bottling it. I'm thinking maybe in mid-March.

Thanks. Keep us posted when you get around to it. I'm real curious about this one.

I used some tart cherries and made this recipe. I used quite a bit of acid blend to balance out the sweetness and it has turned out great and will surely improve with so e age. My girlfriend is definitely impressed; I think this may have legitimized the hobby in her opinion so now hopefully the beers and meads shall flow unmolested like water.

I made two 6 gal. batches of Traminer-Riesling pyment in 2010, using D47. Each time split the pyment into two 3 gal batches and added Northstar (pie) cherries to one half, in secondary. I force carbonated some of the cherry, and the carbonation really brings out the cherry and honey flavors. All four batches (2 pyment and 2 cherry pyment) are still crazy delicious.

I think you'll be happy with yours... but I've never had D47 stop before fermenting to dry. I usually just let it ferment to dry, then crash cool, stabilize, and back sweeten to about 1.015. FWIW, I ferment at 62 deg F and use staggered nutrient additions. I've read that D47 needs nutrients to do well.

Anyway, this is one of my favorite recipes from Schramm's book -- though I admit that I never follow recipes exactly :) Good luck!

I'll have to recheck my records but I remember when I mixed this one up that the OG placed it at > 14% alcohol so I expected it to be at least somewhat sweet.

Ettels4: I used the Selection International Australian Traminer-Riesling and orange blossom honey. I made one of the batches on 9-30-10, and it was cleared and very good at Christmas. Got lots of compliments at that time, but I still put most of it aside to bulk age in kegs. Still very tasty.

Goblet if you don't mind telling me, how did you do this? Did you make the 6 gal wine kit (finings and all) and just add the honey or did you just use the grape puree in the kit and add honey and water to 6 gallons?

The first time I made it, my reason for getting a kit was to see "how wine is made", so I followed the kit directions except with honey added... so basically your first option.

The first time, I split the kit in two at the offset -- 2 gal juice, 1 gal water, 1/2 gal honey -- for about 3 1/2 gallons each, plus 6 lb unpitted frozen & thawed cherries in one. I was following the kit instructions (kind of sort of) so both buckets also got bentonite, pectinase, & yeast nutrients/energizer. I switched the yeast to D47, and I fermented at 62 deg. I used SNA and de-gassed. At secondary I switched in new frozen & thawed cherries a couple of times in the batch that had cherries (these are really tart & acidic cherries from my own tree). Both batches followed the same schedule except for the cherries, and the oak (the pyment got light oak chips and the cherry got dark Am. oak cubes). I followed the finings directions that came with the kit too. And I added the reserved small grape juice pouch before I stabilized & backsweetened to semi-sweet.

The second time I made it I used one 6 gallon batch and added 1 gallon honey, then I stirred it up and split it after a week into two batches, and added cherries to one. The same process after that. It was much easier to get started this way, and the results look & taste the same.

I hadn't used the bentonite/isinglass combination before and I was really surprised to be adding the bentonite at primary, but all batches cleared very quickly. But since they were stored in my garage in kegs through two winters, they would have been cold crashed to just above freezing anyway. They probably would have cleared eventually without the finings. But it is nice that they were so drinkable within just a few months and yet seem to be aging well too, so using the finings worked out... just fine.

Planning to bottle this over the weekend, if all goes well. It's been sitting in the secondary since 11/20/11, so it should have had ample aging/clarifying time.

Bottled this tonight. Ended up with an FG of 1.060. Seems a bit high, but not having taken an OG, it's hard to say.

The end product is really tasty and not overly sweet.

Back