Oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamfein

Reaction score
Hey All,

I thought id share my most recent Oatmeal stout recipe. I used a lot less roasted grains than my normal stouts to give the smooth flavour. Its also the first time I used malted Oats, I normally use rolled/flaked.

5kg Irish Ale Malt
1.4kg Malted Oats
100g Special B
150g Chocolate
110g Black
130g Carafa III
130g Pale Chocolate

16g Polaris Hops @ 60
15g Polaris Hops @15

Its fermenting away at the moment, the wort tasted and smelt superb..

Ill keg in 2 weeks once fermentation is completed.

Enjoy

Did you create this recipe yourself? What is the target ABV? Have you entered it in any competitions?

Hey there,

the ABV came in at just about 6.5%, it was my own recipe alright. I have made quite a few stouts to its just a couple of tweaks on a stout recipe I used many times before with a little less roasted malt and obviously oats.

Havent entered it into a comp or anything, I might be entering it into our national homebrew competition next month.

Ill actually be opening the first bottle of it tonight, if its not up to a decent quality it wont be going into any competition.

We'll be looking for a review. I have an oatmeal stout going as we speak. I got the main recipe from an article in Brew Your Own about Budweiser's pilot brewery. (Yeah, weird, I know...) I brewed it before and it came out great so this is my second time. The only changes are I'm using the Irish Ale yeast instead of the recommended lager yeast, and I left out lactose, since my brother-in-law is severely allergic to anything related to dairy but he likes stouts.

interesting so the Budweiser article was for a Baltic stout then considering it was a lager yeast. Id say the irish ale yeast will impart a nice estery character to compliment the oatmeal stout.

I opened up the first bottle on Thursday and even though its only 3-4 weeks in the bottle it is tasting fantastic. I would say its not such a roasty stout, more chocolate, coffee, caramel with a little bit of roasty flavour.

My girlfriend was very impressed with it so that's a success in my book.

I gave a couple of bottles to friends who also judge in competitions, im awaiting for the feedback on that now.

Latest posts

Back