oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patoshea123

Reaction score
So I brewed up an oatmeal stout the other day with malts and now have about half a cup of oat bran soaking in my fermenter in a cheese cloth to hopefully give it a little more body, do u think that will ruin it? I'm worried aboutt it molding or something...any thoughts?

Not sure either, but i would think once the alcohol level comes up the mold won't be able to grow.
I'm not sure how effective the oat bran will be at fermentation temperatures. I would think steeping or mashing it would be more effective to extract what is needed for mouthfeel.

I was thinking for just a subtle smoothness and nuttiness to it without overpowering it. I was thinkin the same thing about the alcohol inhibiting the mold growth, just didn't know if anyone had tried this. I boiled the oats in the wort for the last 2 minutes and then into the fermenter...well see I guess

Back