Oatmeal Stout Recipe advice/critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jspain3

Reaction score
I'm trying to design an Oatmeal Stout that is about 5% ABV. I threw this grain bill together in Beersmith and tweaked it to get as close to 5.00% ABV as possible. I'm still looking for a good hop(s) to use and any advice on grains I should add/remove/tweak. Thanks!

Batch Size:
6.08 gal Style: Oatmeal Stout (16B)
Boil Size: 9.50 gal Style Guide: BJCP 2015
Color: 31.5 SRM Equipment: Pot (13 Gal/50 L) - BIAB
Bitterness: 0.0 IBUs Boil Time: 90 min
Est OG: 1.052 (12.8° P) Mash Profile: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Est FG: 1.013 SG (3.3° P) Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
ABV: 5.1% Taste Rating: 30.0

Ingredients
Amount Name Type #
7 lbs 8.00 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3
8.00 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5
2 lbs Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6

I think this looks good. A few things: I'm not sure what the crystal 40 will do with all these strong flavors around it. Perhaps a half pound of 120 instead? Also, maybe consider a couple ounces of blackprinz for a nice dark color, and a few ounces of white wheat malt for head. As far as hops go, I usually use an ounce of magnum for bittering and an ounce of UK Goldings for flavor. Works out nicely.

I think this looks good. A few things: I'm not sure what the crystal 40 will do with all these strong flavors around it. Perhaps a half pound of 120 instead? Also, maybe consider a couple ounces of blackprinz for a nice dark color, and a few ounces of white wheat malt for head. As far as hops go, I usually use an ounce of magnum for bittering and an ounce of UK Goldings for flavor. Works out nicely.
Thanks! I'll swap out the 40 for 120 and add the other grains like you suggested. Now, I need to figure out what yeast to use.

I think it's way too much victory malt. I like that malt, but it is very drying and noticeable and I'd cut it way down. I like 40L better than 120 in many stouts, to provide a bit of sweetness to the very dry roasted flavors, but that's my preference and 120L would be ok if you choose.

One thing I'd add is some flaked barley. It gives a great perception of richness, and a nice rocky head. I'd probably add 1/2 pound, and cut the victory down a bit, and keep the recipe the way it is otherwise.

I'd use a neutral bittering hop, like magnum, and target 30 IBUs or so. However, for my oatmeal stout I will often use a "clean out the freezer" approach, and have used willamette for bittering and it's turned out great. You just don't want citrusy/dank/etc type of American hops like chinook in there.

I think it's way too much victory malt. I like that malt, but it is very drying and noticeable and I'd cut it way down. I like 40L better than 120 in many stouts, to provide a bit of sweetness to the very dry roasted flavors, but that's my preference and 120L would be ok if you choose.

One thing I'd add is some flaked barley. It gives a great perception of richness, and a nice rocky head. I'd probably add 1/2 pound, and cut the victory down a bit, and keep the recipe the way it is otherwise.

I'd use a neutral bittering hop, like magnum, and target 30 IBUs or so. However, for my oatmeal stout I will often use a "clean out the freezer" approach, and have used willamette for bittering and it's turned out great. You just don't want citrusy/dank/etc type of American hops like chinook in there.

Is there victory malt in that original post? I don’t see it.

Why not use half/half 120 and 40 crystal?

I have no experience with victory, never saw the need to add other stuff than roast, base, crystal and adjuncts to stout. The roast malts/barley will bring so much flavour and then in addition those darker crystals.... for me that would be enough.

Latest posts

Back