Oatmeal Stout kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weavka32

Reaction score
I am making a Oatmeal Stout kit today from Midwest Supplies. I am a little worried about the low bitterness from the fuggles and am thinking about changing to cascade to up it a bit. Thoughts?

Oatmeal Stout

Recipe specifics:

Style: Oatmeal Stout
Batch size: 5.0 gal
OG: 1.048
FG: 1.012
Bitterness (IBU): 14.0
Color (SRM): 10.8
ABV: 4.8%

Grain/Sugars:

6.00 lb Dark LME, 81.4%
1.38 lb Kit Mix Blend Of Oats and Dark Crystal Malt, 18.6%

Hops:

1.00 oz Fuggles (AA 4.0%, Pellet) 60 min, 14.0 IBU

Yeast/Misc:

European Ale yeast, 1.0 unit(s), Yeast

Recipe Notes:

Northern brewer recipe.

Batch Notes:

Northern brewer kit with Mutons yeast

Not sure what you are looking for. Oatmeal Stouts are generally low in bitterness and are generally of a european style. Also, the hop aroma should be low.
Soft mouthfeel which could be overcome by too much bitterness, IMO. The grain aromas and mild coffee aromas would be covered with too much hop aroma.

While Fuggles was part of the development of Cascade, Cascade gives a citrusy grapefruit characteristic whereas Fuggles is more earthy. Do you want a grapefruity taste to your OS?

As BB stated above, I'd go with "as is" It's a popular kit because it's quite good as is..

But, homebrewing is all about experimenting. I'd brew the kit back to back.. or split it and add your hops to half and do a side by side comparison. Even have a brewing buddy do the kit as is and you do it with your hop change.

I was worried about it being to sweet. I like Sammy Smith OS don't want a sweet mouth taste.. I don't want the citrisy taste in it either. I was just looking my in stock hops that had a slightly higher aa %.

if you put the Cascade in place of the Fuggles at the beginning of the boil you will get more bittering but I don't think any of the flavor will survive the hour of boiling. The only hop I've noticed being able to do that was Citra.

Yeah that is what I though. I stayed with the Fuggles. Will see how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back