Oatmeal stout help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleBroBrews

Reaction score
Thinking of brewing a oatmeal stout using the following grain

1.5 kg - German - Rye
0.5 kg - United Kingdom - Chocolate
0.5 kg - Flaked Barley
0.5 kg - Rolled Oats
2 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale

What do you think and should I change something before making a big mistake? I need help with this one.

Of would this be better results?

3.2kg maris otter
1kg rolled oats
385g chocolate malt
325g carafa III

I am aiming for a very smooth, silky stout with chocolate/coffee finish

This is my favorite grain bill for what you're looking for...a good place to start anyway, if you want to tweak your own...

Not mine originally...It was a homebrew friend's grain bill and an award winner plus.

8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3 SRM) Grain 54.2 %
3.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1 SRM) Grain 20.3 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350 SRM) Grain 6.8 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10 SRM) Grain 6.8 %
0.75 lb Roasted Barley (300 SRM) Grain 5.1 %
0.50 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500 SRM) Grain 3.4 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120 SRM) Grain 3.4 %
2.50 oz Goldings, East Kent Pellets [5.0%] (60 min) Hops 37.9 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent Pellets [5.0%] (20 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette Leaf [5.5%] (5 min) Hops 3.3 IBU
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004) [Starter 500 ml] Yeast-Ale

Your second recipe looks better than the first (rye has never struck me as silky smooth). I'd use either roasted barley or black patent malt instead of carafa if you're looking for coffee flavors. Adding a little caramel or maybe some munich malt will help round out the chocolate malt IMO. Sundowner's recipe looks awfully good too.

Oh, and I STRONGLY recommend some rice hulls. In my experience, oats tend to turn into concrete in the mash. A couple of good sized handfuls of rice hulls may save you quite a bit of aggravation when it comes time to drain the tun.

Anyone any idea where to get rice hulls in New Zealand?

Thanks for your feedback those comments have been helpful. I will definitely put them to good use.

Not meaning to dispute beertroll's comment since all mash systems are not the same, but I've never had a problem when using flaked oats...no rice hulls needed with my system...10 gal igloo cooler with a warthog, which is basically a SS braid.

I just did an oatmeal stout recently and it was one of the best beers I've ever done. I really upped the oats and used both oat malt and flaked oats. The thing I did that really put mine over the top? I toasted my rolled oats under the broiler in my oven. Next time I do it, I'm going to toast them even more. I think I had about a pound or two of rolled oats and never had any issue with a stuck sparge. I'm a pretty slow sparger.

ImNoExpert said:
I just did an oatmeal stout recently and it was one of the best beers I've ever done. I really upped the oats and used both oat malt and flaked oats. The thing I did that really put mine over the top? I toasted my rolled oats under the broiler in my oven. Next time I do it, I'm going to toast them even more. I think I had about a pound or two of rolled oats and never had any issue with a stuck sparge. I'm a pretty slow sparger.

How long did it take you for the sparge and what was the efficiency? What procedure do you follow with the mash and sparge?

Not meaning to dispute beertroll's comment since all mash systems are not the same, but I've never had a problem when using flaked oats...no rice hulls needed with my system...10 gal igloo cooler with a warthog, which is basically a SS braid.

I'm envious. Mine binds up pretty easy. I have a 10 gallon cylinder cooler (I think it's a rebranded igloo) with a domed false bottom, and oats give me fits. In addition to just getting sticky, they glom up the whole mash, and I think it ends up compressing the false bottom. I don't know if it's because I use quick oats (are quick oats and flaked oats the same thing?) or if it's my false bottom, but it sucks. $0.50 worth of rice hulls to keep the wort flowing is well worth it to me.

If you want the roasty coffee flavor you'll probaby want to put some roast barley in the grain bill.

Back