oatmeal stout fermentation temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaos2984

Reaction score
ok so i just finished brewing a batch of oatmeal stout. and i just put the yeast in. Im using white labs irish ale yeast liquid. It says to hold the temp at 70-75 to start fermentation. What temp should i keep this at during fermentation for the long haul. Im a little cloudy on that

Thanks

so should i leave it 70-75 untill it starts to bubble then lower the temp or just go 65-68 the whole time

I think white labs keeps it kinda "simple stupid" with that information. I would pitch your yeast at closest to your desired fermentation temperature as possible. If that temperature is within the recommended temperature range for that particular strain then the yeast will do just fine. Especially if you aerated well and made a starter.

65-68 the entire time. Thats my opinion. Off flavors are produced with temperature swings (and other variables) why start the fermentation off and then drop the temperature?

Back