Oatmeal Stout - Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm looking for a little advice. I am planning on doing an oatmeal stout soon. I have seen a few forums that say to do a mash for the oatmeal to get the best results. What are your suggestions on how to do this? I have never done a mash before.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

U can get oats that have already been malted....no need to mash. Just steep it with your specialty grains

U can get oats that have already been malted....no need to mash. Just steep it with your specialty grains

I never heard of this.

Flaked oats or "Quick oats" need to be mashed with a couple pounds of 2 row.

I don't think you are going to get a lot of sugars from the oats, mostly the silky smoothness and the thicker mouthfeel so just use Quaker oats and make a fairly thin porridge of them and dump that into your boil kettle.

From John Palmers "How To Brew"
Oatmeal 1 L Oats are wonderful in a porter or stout. Oatmeal lends a smooth, silky mouthfeel and a creaminess to a stout that must be tasted to be understood. Oats are available whole, steel-cut (i.e. grits), rolled, and flaked. Rolled and flaked oats have had their starches gelatinized (made soluble) by heat and pressure, and are most readily available as "Instant Oatmeal" in the grocery store. Whole oats and "Old Fashioned Rolled Oats" have not had the degree of gelatinization that Instant have had and must be cooked before adding to the mash. "Quick" oatmeal has had a degree of gelatinization but does benefit from being cooked before adding to the mash. Cook according to the directions on the box (but add more water) to ensure that the starches will be fully utilized. Use 0.5-1.5 lb. per 5 gal batch. Oats need to be mashed with barley malt (and its enzymes) for conversion.

Back