Oatmeal raisin stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weizer

Reaction score
So I'm on a stout/porter kick and I really wanna try an oatmeal stout. It occurred to me that an oatmeal raisin stout would be absolutely delicious.

Has anyone done this before? I planned on turning the raisins into a puree and adding them to the primary. Does that sound right? It didn't really seem to make sense to add them to the boil.

Any tips on how to do this is greatly appreciated.

I would add the raisins when you have 5 mins left in the boil. Who knows what wild yeasts/bugs lurk on those raisins.

Maybe add the spices that are in oatmeal raisin cookies too, just a thought. :mug:

Great ideas. Makes sense to add them to the boil for sure..and I like the idea of the spices as well. Thanks!

You might get more raisin flavour by adding crystal 120 or special B malt to your grain bill, both can add "raisin flavours" in addition to caramel flavours, though I'd still add the raisins. Also, you might want to try toasting some flaked oats for a toastier, oatier flavour. Maybe a vanilla bean for a subtle, nearly unnoticeable addition; the reasoning behind this is simple & twofold: vanilla is used in oatmeal raisin cookies & vanilla is often used in very small amounts in various things, so smal you don't really notice it, but you would certainly notice it's absence. It could certainly add some depth of flavour to your brew, if used sparingly. Just my 2 cents worth.
Regards, GF.

Back