Oatmeal Milk Stout FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biergarden

Reaction score
Greetings Collective,

I made an oatmeal/milk stout (7% and 7% of the grain bill) with OG of 1.084 post addition of the lactose. It's been in the fermenter since August 23rd and actively fermented for over a week.
I think the FG is 1.034 with serial readings over the last 4 days.
I don't think that is an accurate account since the sugars in the lactose are contaminating my readings. I think the oatmeal might be playing a role in the misreading too.
Any thoughts on that?

sounds about right to me. Lactose doesn't ferment out so you'll always end up with a higher FG vs a beer with no lactose. Oatmeal just adds mouth feel and shouldn't add much unfermentables to raise the FG.

Does the beer taste alright? How much lactose did you put in?

If you can post your recipe we can figure out what the OG would be pre lactose and base the FG on how much lactose you added.

Sounds like you added about 1 lb of Lactose to a 5 gal batch. If that is the case, it would add 8.6 gravity points that will not ferment (the info I see says 1 lb of Lactose in 1 gal yields 1.043). That would mean that without the Lactose, your gravity would be around 1.026, which does not seem to far out of line for a fairly big stout.

Sounds like you added about 1 lb of Lactose to a 5 gal batch. If that is the case, it would add 8.6 gravity points that will not ferment (the info I see says 1 lb of Lactose in 1 gal yields 1.043). That would mean that without the Lactose, your gravity would be around 1.026, which does not seem to far out of line for a fairly big stout.

Thanks for the input. I'll make note of it and play around with Beer Smith as well.

Back