Oatmeal Coconut Brown Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackQueenBrews

Reaction score
Greetings All!

With the fall approaching, I’m working on a extract with speciality grains recipe for a 2 gallon batch based on my favorite cookie-Oatmeal Coconut Cinnamon.

I’m thinking about using Briess Amber LME with maybe some combo of crystal and/or biscuit malt, rolled oats, toasted coconut (secondary) and maybe adding some vanilla bean and cinnamon stick to either primary or secondary. For my yeast, I’m looking at either WLP 007-Dry English Ale Yeast or WLP 002- English Ale Yeast.

Any guidance/suggestions for brewing this recipe concept would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers:mug:

Not 100% sure how the toasted coconut would do because I have not used it. I have used coconut flavor from Brewers Best and have been pleased with it. I add when I keg. I suggest that route adding post fermentation and a (very) little at a time until you get just the right taste you’re going for.
Maybe someone else has used the toasted coconut and can better suggest how to use that.
Cheers, and good luck! Sounds yummy!

Thanks! I also thought about using coconut flavor as well. I am trying to get the additional nutty flavor from toasted coconut. I have researched several recipes of other brewers that have used it pretty successfully.

Do you have any thoughts on adding the cinnamon and vanilla bean during the boil, flame out, or cool down?

Thanks! I also thought about using coconut flavor as well. I am trying to get the additional nutty flavor from toasted coconut. I have researched several recipes of other brewers that have used it pretty successfully.

Do you have any thoughts on adding the cinnamon and vanilla bean during the boil, flame out, or cool down?

I personal have had success with powdered cinnamon and natural/organic vanilla extract (the pure stuff) at about 5 minutes before the end of the boil. Could do 2-3 vanilla beans split down the middle at the end of the boil too. Would add said beans to the fermenter as well.

Some folks do the sticks of cinnamon and one or two vanilla beans soaked in vodka for a while and added to a secondary. Which is perfectly fine. I just like having it in the boil for a bit to ward off any sneaky bacteria etc. and reducing the chance of oxidation.
Both are doable and people have had great success with either.

For nutty flavor, you might consider a small addition of a specialty malt eg. Chocolate, light chocolate or victory malt. Just some thoughts.

Back