Oat meal stout,mistake with oats?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobby

Reaction score
I guys,I want to ask one question.I think I made a mistake.I wanted to try brewing oat meal stout from the kit and oats.Ive got Black Rock Miners Stout.I mashed oats and added directly to the brew without bag and now it's fermenting.
Just one question how bad is that if it's bad?
Thank you always!

The oats will settle with the trub. Bad part is you may lose a couple bottles of beer when you siphon to the bottling bucket.

Don't quite understand your problem. I just did an AG Oatmeal stout 4 weeks ago. I mashed the flaked oatmeal along w/the barley. It's in bottles now and I tested one after a week in the bottle and it's not bad. Now just have to wait two more weeks.

:tank:
The oats will settle with the trub. Bad part is you may lose a couple bottles of beer when you siphon to the bottling bucket.

Cold Crash if you can. It will help make the trub less likely to get into your syphon. Don't rush the ferment. Give it time to settle.

Cobby said:
Thanks guys just I was thinking it is wrong to add oats directly.

How did you prepare the oats? Did they get boiled? Or are you saying that you just added them directly to the fermenter. If so, I'm not sure they will add much other than haze to your beer. And I'd also be concerned about bacterial contamination - there will be tons of lactobacillus (and other microorganisms) on the oats, so I you didn't sanitize them in some way, you probably just infected your beer.

How did you prepare the oats? Did they get boiled? Or are you saying that you just added them directly to the fermenter. If so, I'm not sure they will add much other than haze to your beer. And I'd also be concerned about bacterial contamination - there will be tons of lactobacillus (and other microorganisms) on the oats, so I you didn't sanitize them in some way, you probably just infected your beer.

This is what I would be concerned about if the OP simply added oats into the fermenter.

If the oats were mashed and then went along for the ride all the way through the process including the boil, you'll just have a bunch of oat trub and maybe some different flavors from boiled oats. Cold crash and try to not suck it up with the siphon. :D

Thank you for quick respond.Ive boiled and mashed the oats before fermentation.

Guys just one more question for the future,what is the right way of adding oatmeal if I'm brewing from the kit?How much oatmeal?I read about 600 g. Per 5 gallons.I this correct?Kits like Black Rock,Morgans,Coopers...just for the kit improvement.Thank you.

Just to be sure we're all saying the same thing: You need to gelatanize starch in the oats to prepare them for mashing, and you need to mash the oats with base malt to acheive conversion of those starches to sugar. If you are working with " quick oats" or Steel rolled oats you can just add them to the mash like any other grain. If you are using old fashioned oats you need to do a cereal mash. Place the oats in water and bring to a boil. Essentially, make oatmeal, then add that to your mash. After the mash you will boill, which will kill any lacto that is present (lacto is also present on malted barley, not just on oats)

Back