oak question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donner

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to make my first wine kit and have been reading up on the process in several places. Many said to oak the wine later in the process to taste, but in reading my kit instructions it seems to say to add the oak cubes on day 1 and let sit on the oak until fermentation stops and the first racking (approx. 14 days).

The kit is a Cru Select Pinot Noir and contained 60gm of hungarian oak cubes.

I know from beer kits that the instructions aren't always written with the best brewing practices in mind. Should i follow the kit's instructions or wait until after the first racking when i can monitor it more closely for flavor etc. I'm just concerned because i know oak isn't something that can be fixed.

thanks

Follow the directions. The kit manufacturers spend tons of money and time getting it right so you don't have to guess.

thanks. The other part of my confusion was because the oak is listed as 'optional'. Having never done this, i wasn't sure if there was a way of adjusting on the fly or not. I guess i'll just throw them all in and see what happens.

thanks

Optional, as in some people don't like oak in Pino.

Best bet is to stick to the instructions until you get a feel for what is going on. Then its time to experiment.

Back