oak chips and whiskey - dry or wet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andycook

Reaction score
I soaked oak chips in whiskey for about two weeks. Do I dry them first or toss them in wet? I'm about a month away from being ready for the oak chips and I want to avoid too much whiskey taste.

You can toss in wet chips and the whiskey if you wish. Nobody dries them out purposefully.
If you want little whiskey taste put in less, or try soaking the chips in another spirit. Chips can also be added directly to the beer (some sanitize them first) without soaking in liquor for just oak flavor.

Weigh your chips and keep track of how much and how long they are in with the beer for future reference. A good practice it to reserve some of the beer (or wine or cider) un-oaked so if you get too much oak/whiskey character you can blend to the the taste you are looking for. My experience has been that you'll have to add MORE whiskey to the beer, but over oaking can be a problem depending how much you use.

Back