Oak cask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Wagon

Reaction score
I recently got a three gallon oak cask and am wanting to use it for the final ageing of my cider. So what I need to know if there are any special instructions. I have a tap for the cask and want to serve it straight from there, if I want it carbonated do I need to add sugar? Thanks for any help

With casks, the beer/cider can be transferred before primary fermentation is done and sealed in the cask to carbonate naturally, or you can add sugar. If you add surgar, you don't want to add as much as if you were bottling... I wish I had hard numbers for the ratios, but I don't.

What condition is the cask in right now? Where did you get it from and is it empty (if so, how long?).

It has been empty far a long while but I don't know exactly how long since i bought it from an old home brewer. It was dry when I got it and has been soaking all day.

Back