Oak Barrel Tips/Technique Help Needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdbreen

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks to Infidel, I now have some oak rumble/whiskey barrels asking to be filled with beer (and I have the beer ready to fill them).

I've read the threads I could find on oak barrels, but I couldn't find answers to some beginner questions in the threads or the FAQ. These are mine:

1) how long do you keep beer in the barrel - using a 20l/5gal barrel with a stout/porter? How about an imperial stout/porter?
2) how do you clean barrel after use?
3) how do you sanitize before use?
4) how do you store when not in use?
5) do you transfer to barrel after primary or secondary? (FWIW - I usually have good amount of sediment in my secondary)

1) how long do you keep beer in the barrel - using a 20l/5gal barrel with a stout/porter? How about an imperial stout/porter? This all depends on the intensity of flavor you want from your barrel. I would suggest trying it every week or so until you get the level you want. Actual barrels don't work as quickly as oak chips, so it might take a month or two.
2) how do you clean barrel after use? Try finding a product called Baro-Kleen. It's what I've used in the past and it works well. After that I fill it up with sanitizer and let it sit for awhile.
3) how do you sanitize before use? See above.
4) how do you store when not in use? Wet. Very important. You MUST fill the barrel with water and store it in a cool dark place so prevent it from drying out. If it drys out, you'll either have a ruined barrel or you'll have to re-cure it.
5) do you transfer to barrel after primary or secondary? (FWIW - I usually have good amount of sediment in my secondary) I would use the barrel as a secondary unless your doing things like Lambics/Flemish/other sours.

Latest posts

Back