Oak and beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMGB

Cooper
Reaction score
Hello to the home brew forum from VT. I am excited to hear back on this I made a barrel destined to store an imperial and put a medium toast on the inside. I made other barrels for a bigger customer which was going to experiment with what interior treatment worked with their beer. I searched the forum for previous discussion and review of barrel use with beers and didn't get too much back. What I did find was a lot of discussion on sourcing from 5 years ago. So, if you have some feedback for me on this question I would really appreciate it. I want to tool the line and start offering smaller format barrels. I think 1.5, 3, 5, 10, and 15 are common in a home brewers vessel quiver. What size would you want to see available?

Wood and Beer is a great book for expanding your knowledge on the subject.

I've been making my own beer, wine, and such for a while and got my homemade kegorator filled with a 12abv hard cider and a maple coffee stout. A 3 gallon carboy is conditioning a 16%abv spiced cider.

I use oak not otherwise destined for a barrel that we chunk up to impart caramel, smoke, and bread into my concoctions besides smoking meat. One of my wintertime projects is a 10 gallon feoder with a medium toast. This is destined for my sours eventually.

Cheers!
Mac

Welcome Marc! I too like to add some wood to my stouts and porters. I have a sweet stout aging in a homemade black cherry bourbon barrel for a month or so and I have 11 more months until I serve that one up.

I would like to see some of the barrels you made as well.

Good luck!

Welcome Marc! I too like to add some wood to my stouts and porters. I have a sweet stout aging in a homemade black cherry bourbon barrel for a month or so and I have 11 more months until I serve that one up.

I would like to see some of the barrels you made as well.

Good luck!

There are pictures of our 30 gallons on our website
www.greenmountainbarrel.com

Back