NW Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryancericson11

Reaction score
I have been playing around the a grain bill and hop schedule for a hoppy Irish Red. This will be a partial mash. I was aiming for a malty/toast medium body with hop aroma. Silver City Red and Cascade Lake IRA are examples; Silver City for malt profile and mouth feel and Cascade Lake for Hop aroma. Let me know what you think. I am making this for Valentine's Day.

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.5 gal
Estimated OG: 1.06 SG
Estimated Color: 28.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 73 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Mash Temp: Target 154 F
Sparge Temp: 170 F

6.0 lb Briess Golden Light Liquid Malt Extract
2.0 lb Pale Malt 2-Row
2.0 lb Victory Malt
1.0 lb Munich Malt
1.0 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
1.0 lb Wheat Malt
0.5 lb Carmel/Crystal Malt - 10L
0.125 lb Roasted Barely 300

1.0 oz Columbus [13.5 %] (60 min)
1.0 oz Chinook [12.0 %] (15 min)
0.5 oz Willamette [4.75 %] (10 min)
0.5 oz Cascade [7.00 %] (10 min)
0.5 oz Willamette [4.75 %] (Flame out)
0.5 oz Cascade [7.00 %] (Flame out)
2.00 oz Centennial [9.75 %] (Dry Hop 7 Days)

1 Pkgs WYEAST Irish Ale 1084 (2 Day Starter)

Looks pretty damn tasty to me. You can probably cut out the 0.5lb of Crystal 10, and adjust the Crystal 40 to the SRM color you want, just don't think it will add anything to the malt bill. Use additional base malt to get the OG you're targeting.

Yes I will drop the Crystal 10, it was there for a bit more head retention and slight color. Thank you I will post the result next month.

Ok, finally got this started. Should have known this would be a difficult brew day or days. Starter began on Friday night LHBS closed early on Sat. Then I missed closing on Sunday by minutes. On Tuesday when LHBS reopened they were out of crystal 40 so I went with a 60/40 mix of crystal 20/60 and up'd roasted barley to 3oz for color loss. Spent 12 hours trying to fix a over chilled wort, OG missed by .009 wit a reading of 1.062 pitched yeast and hope for the best. 16 hours later krausen flowing out the top see picture. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1424408379.960890.jpg

The smoothest brew day I ever had was one where I was drinking the whole ime ;)

Otherwise I am stressing out.

It usually always turns out OK in the end.

Seriously, I have to keep telling myself relax have a home brew, I am stressed until the first pull from the tap. Wort tasted really good looking forward to the first sip after carb and chill.

How did it turn out? Pretty tasty. Made for my mother-in-law's Birthday She is Irish born on St. Patrick's Day. Really good flavor, wife says drinks too easy. Would recommend.

Now for the specs:

OG 1.062 (target 1.071)
Color 19 (target 28)
IBUs. I would say for my taste buds in the 70 range

Loss some conversion during the partial mash stage. I had to use three smaller mesh bags instead of one large so I think the grain was too tight which didn't provide enough contact with the strike water. I couldn't stir the grain as they were in this swaddle tube.

I will make it again and see if I hit the numbers, would like more color.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1426483201.027230.jpg

Back