Nutty brown ale im making for christmas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Run3minman

Reaction score
Well I'm wondering 2 things

1.) what does everyone think about adding nutmeg seeds to the secondary??? How many and general opinions

2.) at the same time I was thinking of also adding a cinnamon stick in the secondary???

Any ideas and opinions would be appreciated thanks in advance. Hope everyone has a great holiday brewing season.

I just brewed a stout a couple of weeks ago and sectioned off a half gallon to try this same thing out. I added 1g cinnamon stick, 1g allspice berries, .5g ground nutmeg for the half gallon. I just stole a sample and it has an intense aroma from the nutmeg and I also get hints of the allspice but nothing really from the cinnamon. Nutmeg seeds might tone it down a bit but if you were to use ground i would hold back a bit.

Not sure about the nutmeg, but I brewed an oatmeal/java stout and threw in one cinnamon stick at flameout and let it go into the primary. It was a five gallon batch, but three weeks after bottling I feel like I can detect it. That said, it's subtle.

Back