Nuts in my Brown Ale?...What?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shagington

Reaction score
I'm stuck. I really need help. This is my first brown ale, and I want to make sure I am on target with the malts, hops, yeast, etc... Also, I want to add peanut butter, and have been tossing the idea back and forth between at flameout or in a dry hopping way in the secondary. So...what do ya think? Any suggestions?

Peanut Butter Brown Ale
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP005 - British Ale Yeast
Batch Size (Gallons): 10
Boil Size (Gallons): 12
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68 %
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.013
IBU: 23
SRM: 21
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 3 weeks @ 68F

Malt
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
15 lbs. British Mild Ale Malt
1 lbs. American Crystal 80L Malt
1 lb. American Crystal 120L Malt
1 lb. Flaked Oats
1 lb. American Victory Malt
1 lb. American Dark Munich Malt
.5 lb. American Chocolate Malt

Hops and Spices
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.5 oz. Fuggles Whole Hops 5.1% 60min
1.25 oz. Williamette Whole Hops 5.5% 15min
1.25 oz. Williamette Whole Hops 5.5% 5min

1 lb. All Natural Peanut Butter 0min
or, 1 lb. All Natural Peanut Butter Secondary for 1 week

Yeast
-----
WLP005 British Ale Yeast

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Single Step
Grain Lbs: 20.50
Saccharification Rest Temp : 154 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 160 Time: 15
Sparge Temp : 168 Time: 5

My friends keep getting stoned and wanting a peanut butter beer. Can anyone take a look and give me some advice on this recipe. Currently they keep eating me out of house and home on Those Capn Crunch Peanut Butter Puffs, but one night they poured my chocolate stout in to the cereal bowl instead of milk and ate them that way. Pretty gross in my opinion, but this is where they came up with the notion of sticking peanut butter into beer. We shall see.

Not sure Ive heard of a PB brown ale and I think mild malt is a Specialty Malt not a base grain. Maybe someone can help with that.

Any suggestions?

My friends keep getting stoned and wanting a peanut butter beer. Can anyone take a look and give me some advice on this recipe. Currently they keep eating me out of house and home on Those Capn Crunch Peanut Butter Puffs, but one night they poured my chocolate stout in to the cereal bowl instead of milk and ate them that way. Pretty gross in my opinion, but this is where they came up with the notion of sticking peanut butter into beer. We shall see.

I suggest you take away their pot. :cross:

You can't use peanut butter without going through a process of removing the oil. The peanuts also have lots of oil, which will destroy the head and make the beer unpleasant.

Check this out:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/peanut-butter-porter-w-powdered-peanut-butter-61538/

A few people said the powdered stuff worked really well.

Wow! Sweet thanks for the link to Dried Peanut Butter. I'm going to have to find some. Wouldn't the oils float to the top of the carboy? So couldn't I rack off the primary and into the secondary to let it settle?

Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I am pretty secure in the my grain bill. With the Peanut Butter I think I'm going to buy the all natural, pour off the oil and then spread it on a cookie sheet and continue to soak up oil with paper towels.

The addition is where I become a bit skeptical, because I might added the peanut butter in the last five minutes to give the beer a nice peanut butter aroma and back taste of peanut butter. What does everyone think?

Yea, I've tried that and they keep buying more. I did a Hemp Ale once. A complete waste of a guys stash. Specially since THC really only clings to fat. But hey they wanted and I delivered.

AHA! On the contrary sir, THC is fat and ALCOHOL soluble. I've had dragons breath (ganja left soaking in everclear for 3 weeks or so) and one shot will knock even the most veteran smoker (like yours truly) on their ass. So I decided to move it over to the homebrew. I added about an ounce of trimmings to the secondary of an apricot wit for 3 weeks and it turned out great.

And there's a big difference between weed beer and hemp beer. Hemp is the male version of the marijuana plant and has no THC whatsoever, used for clothes/rope/gas/shampoo/EVERYTHING. Weed beer is made using the female plant (ya know, the good stuff.)

And P.S: don't steal a dude's stash. It's worth more than the money used to buy it

AHA! On the contrary sir, THC is fat and ALCOHOL soluble. I've had dragons breath (ganja left soaking in everclear for 3 weeks or so) and one shot will knock even the most veteran smoker (like yours truly) on their ass. So I decided to move it over to the homebrew. I added about an ounce of trimmings to the secondary of an apricot wit for 3 weeks and it turned out great.

And there's a big difference between weed beer and hemp beer. Hemp is the male version of the marijuana plant and has no THC whatsoever, used for clothes/rope/gas/shampoo/EVERYTHING. Weed beer is made using the female plant (ya know, the good stuff.)

And P.S: don't steal a dude's stash. It's worth more than the money used to buy it

Hahaha!! Dude I did not know that part about the alcohol. I probably should have dry hopped, instead of doing it as a hop addition. Now I might have to try the recipe again.

if using the powdered PB, use a lot, especially if you put it in the boil, as it all settles out as trub in the primary for the most part. Even if you put it in the secondary, use a lot if you want much flavor. I think I used 2 jars (roughly 8oz each) and that was not enough to give noticeable flavor.

Hahaha!! Dude I did not know that part about the alcohol. I probably should have dry hopped, instead of doing it as a hop addition. Now I might have to try the recipe again.

THAT'S THE SPIRIT! If you know somebody who grows or someone who sells they may have a large amount of "shake" (stuff that has fallen off main buds but is still just as strong) or trimmings from when the buds are harvested and manicured. They're both a lot cheaper than buying solid ganja

Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I am pretty secure in the my grain bill. With the Peanut Butter I think I'm going to buy the all natural, pour off the oil and then spread it on a cookie sheet and continue to soak up oil with paper towels.

The addition is where I become a bit skeptical, because I might added the peanut butter in the last five minutes to give the beer a nice peanut butter aroma and back taste of peanut butter. What does everyone think?

i think you should make it into a tea and pour it in at flameout.

No, just boil up some water and add it as you would a tea. It doesn't need to be boiled, just pasteurized. The idea is to boil it for as little time possible, or not at all.

No, just boil up some water and add it as you would a tea. It doesn't need to be boiled, just pasteurized. The idea is to boil it for as little time possible, or not at all.

Ok Sounds good.
I picked up about 2 lbs of all natural peanut butter and dumped off the oil. Then I spread it over a cookie sheet and put a thick towel over it with some heavy books on top of that to push the oil out.

Ok Sounds good.
I picked up about 2 lbs of all natural peanut butter and dumped off the oil. Then I spread it over a cookie sheet and put a thick towel over it with some heavy books on top of that to push the oil out.

Great, that should do the trick. Let us know how it turns out! :mug:

So I brewed on Sunday and oh man can you say smelled like peanut butter. So right now primary fermentation has kicked in and it is bubbling away. My closet has a distinct hint of peanut butter floating in the air. Cross my fingers the aroma and taste do not ferment off. I will keep the updates rolling.

I'd try this over the PB anyday! Well, perhaps I'd like this FIRST and THEN the PB... :cross:

I wish I had seen this before you brewed.....
I would have suggested this:

bring 1-gallon of water to a boil, and take off heat.
add 2-handfuls of plain old Corn flakes,
1-handful of "quick" oatmeal,
about an inch square chunk of brick chewing tobacco, cut up

let it sit for 30-min. and run through a strainer
add your peanut butter, the cheapest money can buy, and boil for 15-min.
pour through strainer (strain your nuts.....?) sorry, couln't help it.
add about a tablespoon of Tabasco,
2-teaspoons or so of Ivory Snow soap.
Bottle, and put in the Fridge immediately.

Wait for your buddys to get good and stoned.... and pull out a bottle for them.
It won't hurt them, but maybe they will stop asking you to waste perfectly good beer ingrediants.... hell, they might even like it (shudder) either way it's a win-win situation.

cheers....

Wow, not the response I was after...
I was not even poking fun at the original poster, but at his "stoner buddies". I'm sorry you mis-understood the intent, and apologize for the offense.

on an historical note, the recipie, slightly modified, I quoted was often sold in saloons in backwaters of the old west.

Yeah, I'm sure ivory snow soap was a common ingredient in beers back in those days.

I make odd beers for my stoner friends all the time. They key is to blow them away with something amazing.

Would you call this...Salmonellale?

How about putting peanuts in Everclear or something to draw out the flavors, then add that after the boil or at secondary?

Actually DeathBrewer they used lye soap (and mixed horse feed grain, chilie peppers, and "dry hopped" with a bit of crushed Jimson Weed)... hence the "modifications". (The "whiskey" they sold to the Indians was even worse...) The edge of the then Indian Territory was a bit out of the way when my Mothers Grandfather settled there, it took the Cherokee Strip Land Rush, and the RR coming through to civilize it some.
Some of the more humane types would actually mash the grain and ferment with wild yeast, Iv'e always half wanted to try it with coarse dairy feed.

I have some wonderful memories of the great practical joke wars with the stoners I hung out with back in the late '70s, this practical joke would have been very mild by their standards, great bunch of guys, just don't fall asleep or pass out around them.... it would be a hoot to try my "swill" on them, and then afterwards pull out the amazing stuff to make up for it.

Back