Nutrient vs energizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paschendale

Reaction score
I need some advice. I have a recipe that calls for 3 tsp nutrient and 2 tsp energizer. I have 10 grams go-ferm and 8 grams fermaid k. Are these equivalent?

Not quite. My understanding is that the GoFerm is the energizer, and the FermaidK is the nutrient (although the terms often do get interchanged by different people, causing confusion). You add the GoFerm to dry yeast while it is rehydrating, then pitch the yeast... Whereas you add the FermaidK to the wort/must after you've pitched the yeast (even after its started fermenting, sometimes).

I could be wrong about the goferm being an energizer, though - that could be something else that you also add after pitching the yeast. I'm new to all this, and the above is just what I've read (primarily in Ken Schramm's "The Compleat Meadmaker", iirc). Hopefully someone with more experience/knowledge will chime in and set me straight if I'm incorrect...

Cheers

Back