Nut Brown Ale - Recipe advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jossipov

Reaction score
With veterans day and all I was talking to a friend about making a beer for our little reunion in January. We were in the 101st, and I was wanting to make a Nut Brown Ale because:
a) I like Brown ales.
b) Gen McAuliffe of the 101st is famous for during the Battle of the Bulge responding to a German request for surrender by sending the official response of "Nuts" to the German Commander....so Nuts! Brown Ale, why not :mug:

I havent yet decided if I was going to do Partial Mash or All grain, so I'm posting both recipes I came up with. I really want this to be great, so any advice from experienced brewers on the direction I should go and how you think these will taste (flavor profile) would be appreciated.

Partial Mash, 5 gallon:
Light Dry Extract: 4 lbs 12 oz
Chocolate Malt: 6.0 oz
Brown Malt: 5.0 oz
Victory Malt: 8.0 oz
Crystal Malt - 60L: 1 lb 2 oz
Amber Candi: 1.0 lbs (added at FO)
Hops =
Willamette: 1.5 oz at 60 min
Willamette: 1.5 oz at 10 min
Willamette: 2.0 oz at FO
Yeast =
Yorkshire Square Ale (Liquid Wyeast)

Option 2:
AG: same recipe but with 8.5 lbs Maris Otter instead of Light Dry extract

Mash:
154° F for 60 minutes

additional idea:
Pretty sure with the malts there it should be nutty enough, but depending on how the samples taste might add 1/2 tbs hazelnut extract during bottling. But not sure on that, worry it would make it ridiculous nutty.

Nice choice of yeast mate,wish i could get it!
If i were brewing it, i would have a 15 or 20 minute addition for the flavout, in order to round off the hop profile.
Good luck with the brew. Cheers.

That's a huge flameout addition. Use like 1/2oz. I've also heard the yeast can be finicky and needs a lot of rousing. Otherwise looks good.

Feel like I lucked out on the Yeast, the place near my house has some in stock so jumping on it. Everyone I talked to raved about it.
Going to scale back some on the hops at the end

I recently did a brown ale that was really similar (AG) but dropped the chocolate and victory in favor of more brown malt.

Back