Nut brown ale fermentation temp. question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impulserush

Reaction score
Ok, I am wondering if I have a problem. When I pitched my yeast(Nottingham)
the wort was 75- 80 degrees. The fermentation took off as usual and lasted about 3 days. Over this weekend I was away and someone took out a poll in the neiborghhood and my heat went out. (Wood pellet stove). I had it wrapped in a blanket and a thermometer on it to monitor temp. The temp. fell to 55 degrees. Being this is an ale will this big temp. swing do anything to the beer or will it be ok? What if anything will this temp. change do to the beer? Should I keep it cool now or warm it back up? Maybe turn into a hybrid ale-lager.

Cheers, Happy Holidays:mug:

Dude, relax! You run more harm to your beer if it gets too warm as opposed to too cold. I think that keeping it in the 70s (low ones) is more than warm enough for your beer. Remember, the yeasties in the brew are partying hard (creating heat themselves) which will bump up your temp a bit. Dont worry about your beer a whole lot. I would say as long as it doesnt fall into the 'heat' or 'freezing' zones you should be cool. (No pun intended) :D
RDWHAHB!
-Me

You're fine, if fermentation was done it's just going to cold crash the beer and probably clear it up a bit. Nottingham also likes it pretty cold, I brewed a nut brown with nottingham last week and fermented it at 60-65. I pulled a sample and it tasted great, that yeast is also still working in the 50s, it's very versatile.

Now about this pitching at 80F...

You're fine, if fermentation was done it's just going to cold crash the beer and probably clear it up a bit. Nottingham also likes it pretty cold, I brewed a nut brown with nottingham last week and fermented it at 60-65. I pulled a sample and it tasted great, that yeast is also still working in the 50s, it's very versatile.

Now about this pitching at 80F...

Well I know I said 75-80. I would say more so down around 70 - 75ish. Till I added the top of water.

Thanks for the info guys!!!

Back