British Brown Ale Nut Brown AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bottled this and so far I am very impressed. I let some friends, who aren't big on browns, taste it and they loved it. I used Minch Malt's Hook Head Ale malt as my base malt which gave it a nice sweet biscuit flavor. My OG was right on at 1.054 but I got a FG of 1.008...new hydrometer, so maybe it was off? I used Nottingham but I've never seen it chew through a beer like that. In any case, its not too dry and has a nice chocolate-nutty flavor.

Definitely going to brew this again soon. Thanks!

Check hydrometer in 60deg water or whatever temp it’s calibrated for and make sure it reads 0.00

Brewed this last night. Doubled the victory and chocolate malts. I have no idea what my O.G. was (see picture). Smelled amazing. Looking forward to trying this one.
20181117_202005.jpeg

I like a nice burnt sugar taste in brown ales. How could I change the grain bill to increase this flavor a little?

I just found this!

Sparky, did you have any local influence
on this beer? Ali'i Brewing's Mac Nut brown
ale? I have brewed about 15 batches of that.
(15 barrel batch.)

steve

I've been looking for a good Nut Brown recipe - I'm going to give this a shot!

I'll be using the partial-mash recipe, and my go to supplier (Midwest / Northern) doesn't carry Pale Liquid Extract (at least by name). My choices are (these are all Maillard Malts):
  • Pilsen Malt
  • Gold Malt
  • Light Malt
  • Wheat Malt
  • Maris Otter
  • Amber Malt
  • Munich Malt
  • Vienna Malt
  • Dark Malt
Are any of these a good substitute, or should I look elsewhere for a suppler that carries Pale Liquid Extract?

Thanks for the help!

I brewed this not long ago. In fact it's just ready to drink. I will brew this again, but next time I will definitely use Maris Otter to add a more rich malty flavor. It's good as is, but I prefer more maltiness in my browns.

Looking forward to brewing this one in a couple weeks. Any changes from the original recipe people recommend? This recipe looks amazing as is

The original is hard to beat! With that said I have brewed this 5 times now and have changed something every time. I use Maris Otter and 2lbs Vienna as my base malt, also bumped up the choc to 6oz and also .5lb of D-45 amber sugar at flame out. It comes in a bit darker than the original but finishes dry.

Brewed this last week! Going to keg it next weekend, it’s looks like it’s done fermenting already. Going to take a gravity reading later on tonight

Not sure of OP still hangs out on this thread, but I am in their debt. Just poured my first pint of this and its amazing. This was my first all-grain brew and will be a regular in my lineup.

Don’t think he is still around. I took his base recipe and brewed it several times and used it to build what I liked. I have only been brewing for 2 years but sent my version of his recipe to Dr. Homebrew and scored 38/40 by two Master BJCP judges.

It’s a good recipe like it is or you can tweak it within reason and make a damn good beer! Nottingham is awesome in this beer! If you listen to podcast, check out episode 153 in Dr Homebrew, should be out sometime in September!

Don’t think he is still around. I took his base recipe and brewed it several times and used it to build what I liked. I have only been brewing for 2 years but sent my version of his recipe to Dr. Homebrew and scored 38/40 by two Master BJCP judges.

It’s a good recipe like it is or you can tweak it within reason and make a damn good beer! Nottingham is awesome in this beer! If you listen to podcast, check out episode 153 in Dr Homebrew, should be out sometime in September!
I did use Nottingham for this batch. It was a single dry satchel. Fermentation started within a day and was vigorous for 2-3 days. As this was my first all-grain, I look forward to making this again without the n00b mistakes. I've read through the post and seen some of the tweaks you've made. Care to post your current recipe?

I've not dived into the homebrew podcasts yet. My schedule no longer provides for time to listen to podcasts anymore. However, I'll definitely check out Dr. Homebrew 153!

Last edited:
Sure!

8lbs Maris Otter
2lbs Vienna
1lb 60L crystal
1lb flaked oats
8oz Victory
6oz Choc malt
6oz D-45 (Amber) candi sugar
1.25oz Fuggle @ 60min
1.00oz EKG @ 15min
Nottingham yeast

My next batch I’m going to Sub the EKG with Willamette and see how that works as well as using Warrior instead of Fuggle. I tried this recipe and used 8oz of Crystal 120L instead of the 60L and the beer ended up way too raisiny sweet.

At some point in the future Id like to Imperialize this beer to 7-8% and see how that ends up. The recipe above usually ferments down to 1.019-1.020 but is not overly sweet.

Last edited:
Thanks! I saw that you use Candi sugar in your batches. What does that impart? I'm hesitant to use it, but would appreciate hearing how it helped your beer.

I love Belgian beers, 6ounces isn’t much but I think it helps dry the beer out some and also adds toffee, vanilla, and toasted bread flavor according to CSI. Although it typically finishes at 1.018-1.020 this beer is not sweet, it comes across Med dry.

Last edited:
Just keged 10 gal of this. Taste great out of the bucket. Does 1.018 sound like a decent FG for this? OG was 1.060

Just keged 10 gal of this. Taste great out of the bucket. Does 1.018 sound like a decent FG for this? OG was 1.060

Should be fine Nottingham always finishes dry in the 5 times I have brewed with it. This beer ages very well in the bottle and I’m wondering if it ferments down another point or two because it’s always finishes dry. I don’t recall this recipe ever finishing sweet. I brew a version of this recipe that’s phenomenal.

Last edited:
Since I am now able to do all-grain, I'll be trying
this with Maris Otter. (Is all grain BIB considered
real all grain? a decent mash tun will be a few
weeks away.)

steve

Oh, a recent drink has been monopolizing one
of my kegs. Lime sour.

A couple (or more) limes, juiced.
a few ounces of crushed ice. 25%.
A quart or so,of carbonated water.
(This has taken up one of my kegs.)
And, about 1 tsp or so, of salt.

It is VERY refreshing, and safe to
drink, BEFORE going to work. I
GUZZLE this in the Arizona summer,
and like it still, in later December.

steve

Oh, a recent drink has been monopolizing one
of my kegs. Lime sour.

A couple (or more) limes, juiced.
a few ounces of crushed ice. 25%.
A quart or so,of carbonated water.
(This has taken up one of my kegs.)
And, about 1 tsp or so, of salt.

It is VERY refreshing, and safe to
drink, BEFORE going to work. I
GUZZLE this in the Arizona summer,
and like it still, in later December.

steve

Kind of off topic?

Just tapped this a few days after force carbing it. Gotta say, this is good. I'm thinking it will get even better with a little time. Reminds me of Fat Tire right now.

This recipe hits its prime 1-3months and even longer in the keg.

I was wondering about that. Drinking it after a week and a few days in the keg and it just tastes watery without much malt presence. Maybe I javen’t jad it in the keg long enough or I could have messed something up in the recipe.

Last edited:
Jlinz, how did your brew turn out?

I brewed something similar to this on August 1st. Gravity sample tasted great. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Just a quick update, I ended up adding hazelnut flavoring to mine and it turned out pretty solid. We drank it embarrassingly fast but after a couple weeks in the keg it was tasting nice.

Been experimenting with Kveik and just made this using the LalBrew Voss. Fermented in 4 days at low 80's. Tasted really good out of the fermenter and just kegged it. Ill give it a try next week.

Been experimenting with Kveik and just made this using the LalBrew Voss. Fermented in 4 days at low 80's. Tasted really good out of the fermenter and just kegged it. Ill give it a try next week.

Cool I'm looking into doing 10 gallons of tried and tested recipes split into 2 batches; one of the original yeast and one Kveik.
Hoping to have 2 significantly different beers out of one boil.
Would be really interested in how this one turned out.
I would suspect a chocolate orange flavor :)
I'll probably try Biermuncher's centennial blond first though.

Just tasted this and its really good. Needs a little more carbonation time. Had a few friends try and they said one their favorite beers I have made. Has a light toasty chocolate taste. None of us could detect any Orange. I did ferment on a lower side for Kveik.

Just tasted this and its really good. Needs a little more carbonation time. Had a few friends try and they said one their favorite beers I have made. Has a light toasty chocolate taste. None of us could detect any Orange. I did ferment on a lower side for Kveik.

Sounds good.
Thanks for reporting back.

Back