Numbers for starter with saflager 34/70

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zwiller

Reaction score
Munich helles on deck.

Was hoping someone could run round numbers and explain the logic why I shouldn't make a 2l stater. I believe the growth rate is negatively affected. Should I just fork over another $7 for another packet, make a starter with half a packet, or postpone the brew and get a liquid yeast (and starter), or just brew a saison :D?

I am seeing some considerable variance in cell counts of this yeast. Just trying to understand more about yeast growth rates. THANKS!

That's a killer german lager strain. The reason they recommend against doing starters with dry yeast is that they heavily pre-load the yeast with nutrients prior to drying. It's very difficult for a homebrewer to get back to the nutrient level that the yeast is at once it's freshly rehydrated. So, when you make a starter, you're trading yeast health for cell count. Not an optimal trade-off.

Pitching multiple packs is my MO. Two packs for a normal lager, three for a bock, four for a doppelbock or malt liquor.

Thanks. Ok, will grab another pack. Rehydrate, right? Haven't used dry yeast in 20 years... :)

Thanks. Probably will use cool wort instead of water to cool.

The more I research dry yeast cell counts and starters the more confused I get. Apparently no one agrees on the cell counts.

Well, regardless of cell counts, you shouldn't make a starter with dry yeast. I've switched to dry lager yeasts because they're just so darn convenient; i.e. no more starters. Sure, it costs a couple bucks more when you're using 2 packs, but the time savings is worth it for me.

Back