Now in China!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PerkHouse

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey fellow brewsters!

I'm just dropping by to say hello and that my wife and I have been in China now for 2 weeks and just loving it. The people are warm and welcoming, despite the lack of communication. The food is amazing and cheap. The free bicycle rentals (where we live) makes transportation healthy as well as an adventure. However, the beer does leave a lot to be desired. I was hoping after leaving Kuwait that I wouldn't need to brew, but the best Chinese beer we've found is the Tsing Tao (pron "ching dow") Gold label. However, it's just passable. The good news is that I should quickly be losing a little bit of my extra blubber. :D On the other hand, I just bought a 1.8 liter bottle of the best sake I've ever had for about $15 at the super market so... who knows.

Anyway... take care and happy brewing!

Brian

Gam Bei. Welcome. I've been in China for 2 years as of yesterday now. Originally in Changzhou on my own while my daughter finished high school back home. I brewed a dozen extract kits which I brought over on frequent trips home through that year. In January, my wife and son joined me as I relocated to Shanghai for work. Along with some household items, I brought over my all grain equipment and kegging hardware. I also stocked up on specialty ingredients, and later met up with a local brewpub brewer who supplies my base malts and shares some hops and other grains with me. There a few others brewing in China. There's now a homebrew shop recently established by an American in his house in Shanghai. If you plan to give it a go, let me know. I'll help with connections as much as possible. Where are you at in China? If you're ever in Shanghai, we can meet up for a beer.

Hey that's awesome! Ya, we're in Hangzhou so we do plan on getting over to Shanghai soon to go to Ikea. I'll pm you with my phone number.

I saw an ad a few months ago when I was in Kuwait for a Chinese distributor selling Corny kegs for $10 apiece (no minimum) but I lost all my bookmarks and haven't been able to find it since.

Hi guys,
I have a homebrew store in Shanghai in case you're interested. I also have Corny kegs and regulators etc.
My Homebrew Shop is the first real homebrew shop in Shanghai as far as I can tell.
I've been in China more than 15 years and got tired of not brewing, so I stopped complaining and started getting what was needed to start brewing.
I have 2 brew days open each month for people to come over and brew with me. The next ones are Sep 29 and 30. Let me know if you're interested.

Mike Sherretz
+86-158-2111-3870

Well speak of the devil. That's the fella I was referring to. I hadn't seen you on here before, Mike.

Hi guys,
I do have a homebrew shop here. I have some grains and hops along with equipment now and a container in Customs as I write this. I have another container coming hopefully before the end of September.

I will be in the Chili Cook-off at Bubbas BBQ at the Expo site in Shanghai on September 15th. I won the Ontario Chili Cook-off when I was on assignment in Toronto and they pushed me to enter, so I'll have lots of beer there to share. Stop by if you can.

The following weekend I have a tent at the Kerry Beer Fest in Pudong near the Pudong Intl. Expo site very close to Century Park. I will also be entering a homebrew contest in Nanjing in October.

In addition to the brew days each month, I brew probably a total of 10 batches a month and have kegs for parties. I use a device (that I also sell) that uses a 16 gram CO2 cartridge like those used for paint ball guns. I am having trouble finding the CO2 cartridges though in Shanghai at the moment. So if you can find them, I'll make it worth your while!

I use Corny kegs and have them for sell while also providing corny kegs for parties.

Anything you guys need, let me know and I'll help you get it. Keep in touch!

By the way, I've been a Premium member here since 2010.:tank:

Cheers, Mike

Latest posts

Back