Novalager to reduce sulfer in cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shetc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey All, I'm a newbie cider maker. My first attempt tastes pretty good but there is definitely some sulfer in the initial aroma. Lallemand's Novalager yeast is supposed to not produce sulfer - has anyone tried it for cider?

Usually sulfur is a sign of stressed yeast. This can be caused by not enough yeast used and/or no yeast nutrient or energizer. Apple juice is lacking in yeast nutrients. Have you packaged it yet, and if so, how? Bottle, keg... if you haven't packaged it yet you can degas it by swirling it or racking it again. If you have packaged it your best hope is to let it sit for a while and it should lessen. You can also make more cider and blend them.

Usually sulfur is a sign of stressed yeast. This can be caused by not enough yeast used and/or no yeast nutrient or energizer. Apple juice is lacking in yeast nutrients. Have you packaged it yet, and if so, how? Bottle, keg... if you haven't packaged it yet you can degas it by swirling it or racking it again. If you have packaged it your best hope is to let it si for a while and it should lessen. You can also make more cider and blend them.
Thanks for the feedback! I made a 2.5 gallon batch, in which I added 5 g of Fermaid O to the juice, and then pitched 1 pack of rehydrated Danstar Belle Saison yeast. Not enough Fermaid O?

Back