Nottingham dry yeast at room temp for 1 week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyPolock

Reaction score
I went to my LHBS last week and bought two packets of nottingham dry yeast. I put one packet in the fridge and missed the other packet in my bag and it was at room temp for about a week. :(

Is this room temp pack of yeast still good for my brew next week, or should I get a new pack, or should I use this pack as my fist yeast starter brew?

Thanks!

My LHBS has there Notty sitting out on the counter. I just bought a pack a couple weeks ago and it worked fine for me.

I'm not sure if they put the whole box of yeast in the fridge and pull it out for the day or what... but it looked like they just leave it out all the time by the register :|

Ok, this should be on the "What are some of the mistakes you made...where your beer still turned out great?" thread...
Once (I don't know how it happened) I lost a nottin in my bedroom, and found it 6 weeks later. I must tell that where I leave, average temp at that time of the year was 30ºC (I think that is like 86ºF). Jejeje... Obviously I've use it anyway. The result, one of my best scottish 70.
So don't worry, your yeast is surely fine.
(But try not to mess it up again!!)

Thanks for the calming advice. I know that a pack of nottingham is cheap and I shouldn't have been overly worried. and I wasn't jumping off the walls about this little mistake. I figured that at worst I would have to make a starter to check it out. The last few bottles of my first batch and this forum are great calming influences in my homebrewing. :mug:

Back