Nottigham crapped out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeliasik

Reaction score
Hey all. Need some advice.

I made a barleywine, OG 1.092. Pitched four packets of re-hydrated Nottingham into 6 gallons of wort. Krausen started after 6 hours. Now, a day and a half later, after some good krausen traveling up the blowoff tube, its completely gone. Still quietly bubbling away, but very slow. Made sure lots of oxygen when I first pitched, and then gave it another vigorous swirl today. Still slow bubbling.

Anything to worry about? This is a high gravity beer, but I think I pitched an appropriate amount. Should I pitch another packet or two, or ride it out and test the FG in a week or two?

Id ride it out. i just got 91% attenuation with 1 packet of notty yeast on my blonde ale with a OG of 1.046; FG is 1.004 (6 gallon batch).

Had similar experience with Notties and a stout that came out at 7,13% and totally fine. Let it ride for a bit longer

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You didn't mention your fermentation temperature. Higher equals quicker. If warm that timing is pretty normal. It will still be dropping the gravity, so let it ride. I have read that Notty at higher temperatures can give flavors that some do not like.

Added yeast at 68 degrees. Don't think it got much higher than that. I am letting it get higher now to keep fermentation going.

Added yeast at 68 degrees. Don't think it got much higher than that. I am letting it get higher now to keep fermentation going.

I wouldn't do that. Notty is an excellent dry ale yeast (my favorite), but it prefers cooler temps. At 68*F (beer temp), it starts kicking off some funky esters that only get worse as you go higher.

Well, it just got a little higher, well after primary fermentation was over. I hope I don't get any off tasting esters. It is now fermenting at a cooler 65-68 degrees.

Latest posts

Back