Not tap water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopperman75

Reaction score
Has anyone used water from your local creek or river? I’m contemplating on going to our local creek and collecting enough water to brew with. I know that I will have to filter and sterilize the water and then check the ph. Has anyone ever tried this or am I off my rocker?

I use collected rainwater. Many brewers in my region use local water. BUT, we have very clean air and water. Apart from the pH, you need to beware of any heavy metal contaminants (industry, especially mining), air pollution (eg. various dioxides) and agriculture (phosphates, animal poo, pesticides). Would you drink the water straight from the creek/river? If not, don't brew with it.

EDIT: You don't need to sterilise water to brew with it. It gets boiled anyway. Biological contaminants are less of an issue than other pollutants.

I dunno, at worst this sounds like a sketchy idea, at best less than ideal, as the makeup is completely unknown hence impossible to optimize mash pH and significant mineral ratios. I don't think I'd risk the cost of a batch on it...

Cheers!

the makeup is completely unknown hence impossible to optimize mash pH and significant mineral ratios.

Actually, natural surface waters are nearly always very soft with low bicarbonate. You could assume a blank slate and probably be closer to the actual mark than most brewers are due to the variability in town supply water. This goes out the window, of course, if the water is flowing out of an aquifer. The only question for me would be whether the water is drinkable and nice tasting. If so, brew with it.

Back