• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Not mine - Wow.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If this all checks out put me down for all the simco. I will pay for it all. I use simco in most of my beers. Give me a price shipped for simco?

I would be down for a pound of all the leaf varities.

Let me know how they are...

no kidding. At least spell Simcoe correctly before claiming it all out from under us. :D

I understand that Simcoe is getting scarce, and you all want some. But consider the OP. He might prefer to

sell an unopened, already packaged container to 1 person,

rather than

opening / oxidizing, separating / weighing various amounts, resealing bags (does he have a vacuum sealer? Those bags are expensive), repackaging each for shipment, addressing all, managing many individual payments, communications with numerous anxious buyers, etc.

If he wants to do that, great, but I can tell you that I wouldn't. Truth is I don't want anything that has been opened. Oxygen is the big killer here. (you guys can have the simcoe though, can't stand the stuff myself)

passedpawn said:
I understand that Simcoe is getting scarce, and you all want some. But consider the OP. He might prefer to

sell an unopened, already packaged container to 1 person,

rather than

opening / oxidizing, separating / weighing various amounts, resealing bags (does he have a vacuum sealer? Those bags are expensive), repackaging each for shipment, addressing all, managing many individual payments, communications with numerous anxious buyers, etc.

If he wants to do that, great, but I can tell you that I wouldn't. Truth is I don't want anything that has been opened. Oxygen is the big killer here. (you guys can have the simcoe though, can't stand the stuff myself)

Well, if he sold all the hops at $5/lb (which, by the way, I think is a fair price) he would get about $515. So... Seems like it would be worth it. Of course, quality has to be there and it has to be worth his time, but it would be worth it to me.

Speaking of, I think we could work something out if you want help with the weighing and sealing... As long as you're not a crazy murderer.

Well, if he sold all the hops at $5/lb (which, by the way, I think is a fair price) he would get about $515. So... Seems like it would be worth it. Of course, quality has to be there and it has to be worth his time, but it would be worth it to me.

Speaking of, I think we could work something out if you want help with the weighing and sealing... As long as you're not a crazy murderer.

My point is, if I were the OP I'd rather sell the whole lot to someone than take all the time to divide it up, etc.: money's the same and irrelevant. You all jumped on the guy who wanted a whole box. But for the OP that would save a bunch of effort for the same $$$

OP can obviously do whatever he wants. But we're still not going to like the fact that we missed out on a share of an awesome deal on some hops because someone slid in and took the whole lot. That's just the way it works sometimes for sure though, and that's cool. I understand.

I was also just busting his chops on misspelling the name of an awesome hop, hence the :D at the end.

Hey guys, obviously selling whole boxes at a time would be best. For something like Simcoe where everyone may want some, I would be totally willing to split it up, it only seems fair. I could do a max on lbs. First things first, let's see what they look like and go from there. Sounds like there is interest in a bunch, so we're safe there. I'll probably snap photos of the hops and such (at least the labels on the boxes) so we can get an idea of when they are from.

Sounds great! If you're gonna break them up, can you prioritize by response innitial responses? I only say this as I'd hate to be cut out of the loop. And when are you actually seeing the goods?

Sure, How about FROM THIS POST, I will cut off requests...same with the PMs I get. After that I will repost what is left and see what everyone else might want. I'll have to figure out splitting stuff up after I see if the goods are of quality. The guy is bringing them down from the mountains...and of course we are getting a snow storm now, so it could be tonight or as late as Sunday. He is up at 10,000 feet. I am in a holding pattern

Alright everyone, here's the scoop. I went over to check out the hops. All of the leaf hops are from '05/'06 crop year and the pellets are from the '08 crop, purchased in '09. I was given the impression that everything was a little younger than it was. So, I decided not to purchase them and get stuck with all of the hops. I asked if they would just consider the pellets for sale and they said they would have to see if anyone took the whole lot first. Personally, and this may be different than what all of you are thinking, I was only comfortable with the pellet purchase and not the leaf hops. Anyone have thoughts? I was trying to make the best decision for me, but also for you guys as well.

Alright everyone, here's the scoop. I went over to check out the hops. All of the leaf hops are from '05/'06 crop year and the pellets are from the '08 crop, purchased in '09. I was given the impression that everything was a little younger than it was. So, I decided not to purchase them and get stuck with all of the hops. I asked if they would just consider the pellets for sale and they said they would have to see if anyone took the whole lot first. Personally, and this may be different than what all of you are thinking, I was only comfortable with the pellet purchase and not the leaf hops. Anyone have thoughts? I was trying to make the best decision for me, but also for you guys as well.

Thanks for taking the time. As you know I wanted the pellets.

Sounds like an opportunity to make some lambics!

I'll of course let everyone know if I go ahead with the pellet purchase. Same $5/lb price would still stand. Let me know if anyone would want pellets, whole box purchases would be preferred. $50/box + shipping. There was:

11 lb Cluster
20 lb US Saaz
11 lb US Golding
11 lb Great Northern Brewer

This is of course, it if happens. Thanks, sorry if anyone has been let down, I just didn't think it was worth it as a whole lot.

Never mind, they sold it all to someone else. Cheers to the deal that almost was

alowell, thanks for putting the time in and vetting this deal. I guess if someone else bought it, that parts of the lot may have been a decent deal to someone, but frankly I don't know what anyone wants with 67 pounds of 6 year old aroma leaf hops. Sounds like you made the right call.

Yeah thanks for looking out for everyone. A couple year old hops is different than 6 year old hops. Good call. Thanks again.

I've never really tried using hops that old... even with freezer temps keeping them. Is everyone saying that the bitterness fades?

I've never really tried using hops that old... even with freezer temps keeping them. Is everyone saying that the bitterness fades?

In my experience, it is not a problem if you keep them sealed. I have 2 year old pellets that I use and the beers come out normal.

I can't speak about leaf hops, unrefrigerated hops, unsealed hops, etc.

Thanks for looking into this, too bad the seller was so vague from the start. Those hops are old enough to be in Kindergarten.

Back