Not enough water After The Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erhamm

Reaction score
A buddy of mine and I are working on our second brew, a Goose Island IPA Clone. After the boil we only ended up with 4 gallons that went into the bucket to ferment and allot of 'sludge' which I am assuming is the hops and some of the wort. I don't think we used enough water for the mash. Any ideas how to save our batch?

A buddy of mine and I are working on our second brew, a Goose Island IPA Clone. After the boil we only ended up with 4 gallons that went into the bucket to ferment and allot of 'sludge' which I am assuming is the hops and some of the wort. I don't think we used enough water for the mash. Any ideas how to save our batch?

What was the OG, and what was the OG you were attempting?

You can always top up your fermenter before pitching. But as yooper alludes it will affect your gravity.

The OG was 1.069. We were hoping for 1.064. I think where we ran into problems was not enough sparge water. We already pitched the yeast, is there harm in adding water now?

The OG was 1.069. We were hoping for 1.064. I think where we ran into problems was not enough sparge water. We already pitched the yeast, is there harm in adding water now?

You can top it up with water anytime. Don't overdo it though. It's better to have less "good beer" then more "watered down beer".

how did it turn out? I didnt use enough sparge water today and too got only 4.25 gallons in the fermenter. But ill leave it alone and see how it comes out! Yum

Back