Not enough hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slainte

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just put a tap on my latest batch - it's good - but way too little hops. What can I do to correct? I was thinking to boil a couple of ounces of Willamette (what I have on hand) in a quart or two of water for 45 min to an hour, cool, then add to the kegged beer, give it a good shaking, repressurize, let set overnight, and then give it a taste.
Any and all advice will be appriciated.

Thank you,

Sláinte!

Not enough bitterness?
Not enough flavor?
Not enough aroma?

Bitterness can be increased using a hop tea, as you've suggested. You don't need a heavy boil, just a little. There is a limit to how much of the bittering compounds will dissolve in the water (about 100 IBU), so 1/2 ounce of hops in two quarts is plenty.

you could always go with a northern brewer hop shot. Or if you are feeling crafty, maybe run it through a hop back or similar device prior to serving.

Thank you for the input. I went ahead and did a hop tea last night. We'll see how it tastes this evening.

As I was boiling the tea, SWMBO asked "how can something that smells sooo awfull make beer taste sooo god?!" Hahaa!

Slainte

Latest posts

Back