Not enough headspace for 2nd wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerisyummy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi there, I've just started my annual spiced ale for Xmas. All-grain, BIAB. I usually like to add a 2nd wort of boiled & cooled Lyle's Black Treacle and a little extra DME, at or near high krausen - has worked nicely the last couple times.

howEVer...

I grossly miscalculated and ended up with too much wort in the carboy - almost 6 gal, plus maybe a liter of starter. I don't know how I could have made that mistake! Well, actually, yes I do 😖 I mean, it's good to have lots of beer, but it wasn't my plan exactly.

So what would you do next? (1) Just do it, and lose a quart or two in the blow-off, or (2) let it ferment out & settle, rack to secondary, the idea being the trub left behind in primary (I got a lot already for some reason) will then give me more headspace in the 2ndary.

Many thanks for your opinings.

Add it to secondary. There will be plenty of yeast, the re-fermentation will create CO2 in the fermenter, and you will not get as much fermentation activity to lose beer. A benefit; since the fermentation will be more subdued, you may retain more of the treacle flavor.

Latest posts

Back