Not enough DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitar510

Reaction score
I am making a Cream Ale as follows following a NB recipe...

0.75 lbs Honey Malt
0.25 lbs Biscuit
6 lbs of Pilsen LME
1 oz Cluster Hops

The local store did not have LME Pilsen but they did have DME. In switching from 6 lbs of LME to DME, I bought 4 lbs according to suggested advice. I knew I should have bought more and if I had extra...so be it. I now know I should have bought 5 lbs.

Should I brew as is with 4 lbs of DME? Scale down the volume? OR wait to get back to the LHBS?

just brew it, it'll be fine. it will be a touch lower on the OG, but with only 1 oz hops it should be pretty well balanced still. i say wing it and see how it turns out. DO IT!!

You could add 1/2 to 1 lb of sugar if you want to bring up the OG. I make a very similar cream ale and can tell a slight difference in taste with 1 lb of sugar v. with all malt. Either way will be fine.

You could add 1/2 to 1 lb of sugar if you want to bring up the OG. I make a very similar cream ale and can tell a slight difference in taste with 1 lb of sugar v. with all malt. Either way will be fine.

If it's too much trouble to get the extra .8 lbs of DME then I would add some regular table sugar. Like 1/2 lb. But it will be a slightly different beer. Slightly drier and less body. Depending on your tastes, it may be an improvement. :mug:

Back