Not achieving estimated batch size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primativeBREW

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am having problems achieving the correct batch size post boil. According to beersmith2 I should have achieved 5.50 gallons post boil, but only collected 3.5 gallons. This is the second time that this has happened. I have done 6 batches on my equipment and was getting around 5.5 gallons post boil, but for some reason the last two batches have been around 3-4 gallons. Not sure what I am doing wrong as the pre boil volume is matching what beersmith2 is estimating. All my other numbers match ie. SG and OG.

I am using a 10 gallon cooler as a mash tun and a keggle for a boil kettle.

Any input is appreciated and thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

You may be boiling too intensively. This is about what a gentle rolling boil should look like: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1C8cZkc0Oo[/ame]

Otherwise, increase your boil-off rate setting in BeerSmith, which has the effect of increasing the pre-boil volume. For me, the rate is 1.25 gallons/hour, but if you live in an area that tends to be arid, that rate will likely be higher.

Maybe that's what it is. My boil is a lot more vigorous, thanks for the input I will try dialing it down and see if that helps

I can't imagine a more vigorous boil suddenly accounting for an extra 2 gallons of loss on the same system. I suspect you don't have all the settings input correctly for your boil off rate and other losses. Did you keep records on the first 6 batches where you did hit volume? If not carefully measure your boil off and volumes at each step next time. Then be sure to accurately input everything especially on the water volumes page. Beersmith is only as good as what you input, you should be telling it what to do more than it telling you.

You want as vigorous a boil as possible, just increase your boil-off rate. I actually have a winter and summer profile that use different boil-off rates due to temp/humidity differences.

I can't imagine a more vigorous boil suddenly accounting for an extra 2 gallons of loss on the same system. I suspect you don't have all the settings input correctly for your boil off rate and other losses. Did you keep records on the first 6 batches where you did hit volume? If not carefully measure your boil off and volumes at each step next time. Then be sure to accurately input everything especially on the water volumes page. Beersmith is only as good as what you input, you should be telling it what to do more than it telling you.

The settings have been the same as far as my boil off rate turn loss etc. I'm starting to get more serious about brewing and will hopefully be able to upgrade my equipment here by Christmas. I have though been messing with my burner( darkstar burner) and achieved a boil of 7 gallons in a record time for me the past two batches, that's why I'm agreeing that it might be the boil off. I am planning on doing a "dry run" with water and see what my actual boil off is probably next weekend.

Boiling off 4 gallons in an hour? Is this even possible? Did you have a boil over?

Per my recipe on beer smith today I added 4 gallons to the mash and the did a batch sparge with another 4 gallons......and after looking at my recipe right now to verify I realized I messed up. I was suppose to batch sparge with 5 gallons. So I was a gallon short there, then factoring in boil off that might explain it. I have no way of measuring how much I have in my kettle right now as I don't have a sight glass, ( any suggestions on how to measure what's in the kettle?) so I was assuming 7 gallons since I used about 8 gallons for mash and sparge and figured about a gallon of grain absorption? Does that sound right?

Mark a spoon or mash paddle with gallon markings. Grain absorbs about .12 gallon per lb, or about a gallon per 8 lb of grain (unless you are BIAB'ing and squeeze the bag, that's more like .09 gal per lb).

I had 13 lbs of grain so about 2 gallons of absorption? So between the missing gallon of sparge and the grain absorption I was short 3 gallons plus the boil off makes about 4 so I think I found my answer. Thanks for the help everyone. Things to think about for my next batch

Mark a spoon, dowel, mash handle as you add hot water up to day 7-8 gal in gal increments. Then, boil for an hour at your usual boil rate. Measure again after one hour. That should give you a good idea of your boil off rate.
Also measure your pre & post boil amounts w/ the same measure. Add water as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back