Nostalgia-Electrics, 60 Can Cooler-Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.sears.com/nostalgia-electrics-retro-series-60-can-party-cooler/p-00847226000P

This link says "Inner dimensions: 17" Height x 15" Diameter" in which case it would be too short for 5 gal fermentor.

Even if it was tall enough that seems pretty spendy for single fermentation chamber, although the digital thermostat is pretty cool.

One similar option is to get a Red Bull refrigerator if you can find one on the cheap. This one held a 6 gallon plastic bucket fermenter before I modified it for kegs. I think it only went down to 50 degrees though.

Thanks Spludge. I looked at a few site but could not find one with inside dimensions. At 17in the beer would be inside, but the top of 5gal size fermenter bucket would be sticking out. Looks like it might work if I built a foam lid or some sort of cover.

I agree with the cost being high for a single fermenter if you paid full price, I have seen used one before for less. Also if it did not require any modification I might be willing to pay a little more for a turnkey type solution, but it does not look like this is the case.

The redbull cooler looks just tall enough that lifting a 5gal bucket could be tricky or require a rest on the edge before dropping in side. What is the height how tipsy is redbull cooler?

Nice job on your kegerator by the way.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
An extended insulated lid would definitely work, make sure and post if you do it! :D

The Red Bull fridge is about 3.5-4" tall. I left it behind when I moved so can't take a direct measurement. It is very stable for loading, but it is definitely a lift to get the full bucket in and out.

Did some looking and found a floor model 60 can cooler at a reasonable price.

IMG_6581_zpsqym3diw5.jpg

5gal bucket
IMG_6582_zpsymtyyuha.jpg

6gal bucket slightly over the top edge
IMG_6585_zpsgyfnxgqc.jpg

6gal plastic carboy, shoulder well below the top edge
IMG_6584_zpsmd2ifo3a.jpg

quick cover

It is not too tall so it is easy to drop a carboy or bucket in or take it out. It took overnight plus some to cool 5gals from 70 to 45 so it takes a while to cool things down, but once there it holds pretty well. The front panel display shows the temp and it starts to cool once temp increases past the set point, it displays a overshooting by about 10 degrees but the outside temp of the carboy measured with a digital kitchen thermometer show temp going a degree below the setpoint and about 3 above. I dropped my brewing analog thermometer into the carboy with active yeast and the temp was 1 degrees above the set point. So far it seems to be working OK.

Back