Norton Grape Cluster Experiment, I need feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heathrocksla

Reaction score
Ok so here's what I'm thinking about doing...I'm in the south, Louisiana, and I've got some 3 year old Norton vines...five of them. Last year they actually produced a total of 32 pounds of grapes and I ended up with two gallons of wine...not bad considering they shouldn't really have produced that well until this year. Here's what I'm thinking about doing...it's so hot here that by the time the grapes are ready to harvest...August 17th last year....the average temp is close to or over 100 degrees. I know for a fact that kind of extreme weather is not good as they get close to harvest.

Here's what I'm considering...the first small clusters are on the vine now...if I wait one month and prune all the clusters off then they'll produce more but the new clusters will be one month later for harvest which will be much cooler and better for the grapes. I got the idea because I read it online somewhere about someone that would do that in hot climates but I can't find the article again. I trying this small scale because if it works then I'll implement it on a larger scale in the future.

Any thoughts?

Heath

I have heard that it is tough to grow good Norton grapes south of the Mason-Dixon line. Maybe you could try your approach on a few of your vines for comparison purposes this year.

Back