Northern Michigan blizzard recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiBeerMan

Reaction score
So we are having yet another winter storm here in northern michigan so i had 2 packets of us-05 yeast that i was going to use on a 6.5 gallon batch (but used notty instead) sitting in my frig. Went in to do grocery shopping before storm and special forces led me into the juice isle. Ended up getting 2 gallons on juice so here is what I am doing tonight.

1 gallon old orchard peach mango
1 can frozen peach mango concentrate (organic)
1/4 lbs brown sugar
1 packet of us-05
gravity pre sugar/concentrate 1.051
post sugar/concentrate 1.074

1 gallon old orchard apple cranberry
1 can frozen apple concentrate (organic)
1 packet os us-05
gravity pre concentrate 1.050
post concentrate 1.065

not even sure if this will work but trying it anyway. Any thoughts or opinions?

Have you used brown sugar before? I find it leaves behind that molasses specific flavor, which without the sweet part is odd at best. Some people like it, some don't.
Other than that both sound tasty.

Last edited:
Fermentation only took 5 days. Racked into secondary at 1.014 (7.8%) for peach and 1.011 (7%) for apple cranberry.
So, i'm going to attempt to bottle this and pasteurize it. Just need reassurance i'm doing this right. Since i cut off primary early I'm guessing i dont need any more sugar. So once cider clears up a bit, bottle it. Wait a few days and check carbonation level. When carbonation is right, then then stick it in 180 degree water for 10 minutes.

Last edited:
I watched a video on YouTube on how to make a sweet hard cider that is bottle carbed. I have yet to try this but you would definitely want to pasturize if you intend to carbonate AND retain some sweetness by using bottle conditioning. Otherwise you will have some bottle bombs on your hands.

So I liked the peach mango I made. Not so much the apple cranberry so I'm going to try the peach mango again but this time add an additional concentrate instead of the brown sugar and throw some frozen peaches that I thawed into it halfway through fermentation.
I also will start another cider that consist of half apple juice NFC and half Ceres 100% juice blend (peach puree and pear juice).

Back