Northern Brewer Recipe from Instructions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProfX

Reaction score
I've been looking for recipe kits but always hate paying the $8-$10 for shipping. I noticed on the Northern Brewer website that they have the instructions for each kit, including the ingredients posted for you to download for free.

Does anyone know if this document will match the recipe kit exactly? If so, then I'll just use this and go buy all the ingredients locally and hopefully save a few bucks.

I would assume that the recipe shown reflects the kit exactly, and even if it's not quite right it shouldn't be too far off I'd imagine.

You could write down the ingredients and then look at the recipe database here for comparison. It's how I've built most of my recipes when I wasn't sure what it would take to make a style I was interested in.

The extract kits are fairly simple. I am sure your local brew supply store could hook you up with some similar recipes fairly easily.

I've never brewed one of their kits but I've brewed beer based on their recipes, buying ingredients from my LHBS. They've all turned out quite good.

Yes, the downloadable recipes are the exact same as the ones that come with the kits.
If you don't want to buy their kits, then yes you can take the recipe and source it locally.
It'll work equally.
Assuming your LHBS has the proper ingredients in the correct amounts- thinking mostly about the '1 oz. of this and 2 oz. of that' for some of the more obscure ingredients.

I could do that. Our LHBS has all the grain in 5 gallon buckets and you can buy as much or little as you need. Everything except 2 row is the same price so you just keep adding to the scale until you have bought every last oz you need. Thank you Mike for that freedom.

I've taken the ingredients list from various kits & plugged them into Beersmith 2 to play around with changes I've felt the beer needed. That's part of learning the brewer's art in my view. Everything works if ya let it!:mug:

You could also visit the recipe area here on HBT, and get recipes that are just as good if not better than what you get on Northern Brewer.

Latest posts

Back