North East IPA to Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GixxerBrewer

Reaction score
Hey everyone.. Much thanks for any guidance. I brewed Sunday and dry hopped Tuesday when active fermenting started. I wanted to go about 7 days but will wait until OG Stays consistent. I'm going to keg but if I should rack it first. Don't want oxidation. Should I go straight into the keg. Force carb for a week or so?

I rack straight to keg and set psi at 30 for around 24-36 hours and then set back to serving pressure. Usually good for a NE IPA after 3-4 days. Good luck

1. Seal the keg and purge the keg with CO2 (Fill with CO2, dump the relief value, repeat)
  2. Rack the beer into the keg, try to be gentle and not splash it around too much
  3. Seal keg and purge with CO2 ~ 5 times
  4. Set PSI to 30 PSI for 24 hours, reduce to serving pressure (on my kegs it is 10lbs)

General guidance is to wait until after fermentation is complete to dry hop. The reason being that the active fermentation may drive of the aromatic qualities you are trying to achieve.

You can go straight to the keg after fermentation. Some like to cold crash to reduce the amount of yeast and proteins left in suspension. I don't bother and just accept the fact that the first few pints may be cloudy.

General guidance is to wait until after fermentation is complete to dry hop. The reason being that the active fermentation may drive of the aromatic qualities you are trying to achieve.

For a NEIPA most dry hop at high krausen or just after it has peaked.

I concur with JTK very good beers can be made using the NEIPA methods ie hopstands at 170f and heavy dry hopping early on in fermentation, the use of oats in your recipe ect. There will be no saving of yeast doing this and can be "ugly" some call it juicy. I have been mostly making these lately. These need to be kegged as soon as finished and drank as soon as carbed for best results.

After sending my reply I thought maybe I should take a reading as I normally dry hop on day 4 well my beer has finished out. This was the first time I have used a starter for brewing and man does it ever make a difference. I will dryhop now for a couple of days and prepare for kegging.

Back